Injuried Hen from my Rooster

I felt the underneath of my hen's wing and found a huge lump. I finally figured out that this was a tumor not just a sore. Today, my vet removed her wing. She is doing well so far and I know she will have to feel better without the weigh of her heavy wing.

That depends on how badly she is pecking at it. She may just be trying to groom.

When my rooster was attacked by a coyote, he sustained bad wounds on his back. I flushed them with hydrogen peroxide, then, patted them dry with sterile gauze. After that, I sprayed his wounds twice daily with some Vetricyn Spray.

He was very interested about what was going on there, on his back. He'd gently use his beak, as chickens do, to probe the area. But, it must have hurt at one point, because he immediately stopped. After that, he was content to let me attend to his wounds. Just two weeks later, new feathers started to emerge. I never had to cover his wound. But, then he was a rooster, and getting mounted wasn't an issue. He was also separated, from the other chickens.

Which, brings me to another thing you'll have to be vigilant for. The other hens will peck at her scabs, and may have already! So when you are ready to return her to the flock, you may want to use some Blue Kote on her back. I'd do this, even if she is wearing a saddle. If you have her outside, you'll also have make sure flies don't decide to lay eggs in her wound. Keep enough ointment or whatever medicine you decide to use on the wound.

Take care of the wound, and just observe her for a few minutes. If she pecks at it, and is drawing blood, or making her wound worse, then you will have to cover it with gauze, and vet wrap. At least till it dries out. But, if you cover it, you'll have to change the dressing twice a day, till you see it drying out and crusty. Then, you can put a hen saddle on her and monitor the wound's progress. Infection is the biggest concern right now. That won't happen, if you keep it clean, and apply some type of wound medication.

You may need more saddles for the rest of your girls, if your rooster is anything like mine! :barnie

God Bless :(

We figured out what this wound was on Monday. It was a tumor. My Vet removed her wing yesterday and so far so good. It is amazing how unaffected she seems by all of it. I am giving her some pain meds and antibiotics but as stated so good so far.

Greetings Baygirl,

My goodness, what a surprise! That tumor most likely added to her weight. Poor girl, did the vet send the tumor out for testing, to see what caused it?

How is her back wound healing?

Can she balance herself without a wing?

Sorry for all the questions, but, I have never heard of a vet opting to remove a chicken's wing. This is interesting to me.

I know when I tie my hen's wings down with a scarf, they can't balance, and will fall forwards. You will probably have to add some handicap features to the environment for the hen. I had to do that for one of my girls that couldn't use her wings due to feather loss, and a swollen belly, which caused loss of balance.

You are right, animals just deal with what ever happens to them. It's us humans that have the nervous break downs. LOL! Thankfully, your girl has a caring keeper to help her through this. :thumbsup

Well, I am praying for your hen, that all goes well for her, and you too.

Keep us posted here, on BYC, as to her progress!

God Bless and good health to you and your hen. :hugs

The vet didn't send the tumor off. He was pretty sure that it was a certain type that isn't cancerous. She can balance very well without the wing. SO grateful for that. She is happy and eating very well. I put her in the coop yesterday for about an hour just to keep her part of her flock. They were good and didn't try going after her surgery area. She is on antibiotics for 7 days and hopefully things will continue to go well!! Thanks so much for caring. I will post again in a week for an update. Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom