Injury after fight

CoconutCoffee

Songster
Oct 27, 2021
Eastern NC
The other day my langshan and BLRW roos got into it. Normally they don't scuffle as they've been around one another since they were chicks and are kept away from the hens. Both are pretty large and I found the langshan standing like this. He can still drink and walk but is considerably more subdued. I haven't seen him eat but I've separated him now. I've never had such an occurrence before. Can anyone give an idea on prognosis?

20230101_173947.jpg

The other day my langshan and BLRW roos got into it. Normally they don't scuffle as they've been around one another since they were chicks and are kept away from the hens. Both are pretty large and I found the langshan standing like this. He can still drink and walk but is considerably more subdued. I haven't seen him eat but I've separated him now. I've never had such an occurrence before. Can anyone give an idea on prognosis?

View attachment 3364378
I'd work on getting him hydrated as instructed.

I'd also give him 400IU Vitamin E and 1/2 tablet B-Complex daily along with a treat of egg.
You mention he's eating/drinking o.k. which is good.

Can you get some photos of his face and comb?

He may have suffered some injury and stress, hopefully with some TLC and vitamins he'll come around o.k. Even if you don't see a lot of outward injuries, roosters usually take a few kicks to the head and chest. He may also be feeling a bit poorly of himself and has lost some courage. Time will tell on that one.

I'd work on getting him hydrated as instructed.

I'd also give him 400IU Vitamin E and 1/2 tablet B-Complex daily along with a treat of egg.
You mention he's eating/drinking o.k. which is good.

Can you get some photos of his face and comb?

He may have suffered some injury and stress, hopefully with some TLC and vitamins he'll come around o.k. Even if you don't see a lot of outward injuries, roosters usually take a few kicks to the head and chest. He may also be feeling a bit poorly of himself and has lost some courage. Time will tell on that one.
I'm about to head out to get the vitamins for him and will get some photos of his comb/head. Also a bag of their previous feed. I've seen roosters stand on one another so that worried me due to their sizes.

He may be in shock. Have you looked him over carefully for injuries? Feathers can hide a lot. Don't wait too long or infection can take hold.

Treat him for shock. It may help him recover from his crumpled posture. One cup warm water with one teaspoon of brown sugar (or white) and a pinch of salt and baking soda stirred in.

He may be in shock. Have you looked him over carefully for injuries? Feathers can hide a lot. Don't wait too long or infection can take hold.

Treat him for shock. It may help him recover from his crumpled posture. One cup warm water with one teaspoon of brown sugar (or white) and a pinch of salt and baking soda stirred in.
Yes, I looked him over and didn't see anything other than his comb. Moved his feathers under his wings, body, and vent area. I saw an older thread with a rooster standing the same way and someone said it was a vitamin E deficiency. I did recently switch their feed so wondered if it's related to that and the fight was just a coincidence. I dont know how quickly a vitamin E deficiency would show and that it'd be only one bird out of nearly 30.

I placed some warm water mixture with him tonight and will bring more in the morning.

It could be a vitamin E deficiency. Or neurological injuries. If the sugar water doesn't improve his posture, then it would be good to start him on the E. One capsule daily with a little egg.

He may have tumbled in the fight and wrenched his neck or clobbered his head. The E will treat those injuries.

Got some pics of his head/comb though not great quality. The first few points on his comb were lost last year from frostbite but you can see how it got beat up from the fight. His hackle feathers are also discolored from blood though it doesnt show well in the photos. He was eating the egg with vitamin E and B complex after the photos were taken. He is also crowing again
20230102_103317.jpg

20230102_103345.jpg

It's just the flash.
Is that just a flash in his eyes or does he have a bit of pus or debris in the eyes?

It's not uncommon for birds that have been fighting to have a bit of pus/foam in the eyes dues to getting dirt/debris on the face, being held down, a kick to the head, etc. Been there done that. Spray out or flush the eyes with saline to remove any dirt and foam. If needed, apply a dot of Terramycin eye ointment or Original Neosporin in the eye. The ointment will help work up any more dirt in the eye so you can rinse it out daily for a few days.

I do think he looks better in the photos, hopefully he is. Vitamins, egg, feed...all of it sounds good.

Do check on the other rooster to make sure he doesn't have some scrapes or cuts that need tending as well.
It's just the flash. His eyes look normal to me but I'll double check later on tonight to be sure. He does seem to be doing a bit better though. I didn't find anything on the wyandotte thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom