INJURY!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Toro, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Toro

Toro Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    New Yawk
    I go out to the chicken coup today, shovel out the snow in the run and put a tarp over it. I go into the chicken coup, and see that on of my golden campine hen's neck was all wet. Upon further investigation, i realized it was blood, and she had a large cut on her head. I brought her inside the house and realized what I thought had been a cut was actually a hole the size of a dime. There is a little flap of skin covering half of it but most of it is an open wound. You can see (and touch) the skull through the wound. I have isolated her, tried to clean up the blood, cut the feathers around the wound, and put neosporin in nit to prevent infection. Is there anything else I can do? I am sooo worried for her. Her name is Sheldon, she is about 4 months old. I'll post pics once I find my camera.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I'm sorry [​IMG]. Sounds like you have done well. You can flush the wound with plain saline solution if, it needs to be cleaned further. She may get shocky so, I would cook her a egg, mash it up and mix in some plain regular yogurt to give her added protein,calcium & probiotics. If she seems to be in pain? you can add a very small amount of whiskey to help her. Good Luck.

3. Toro

May 18, 2012
    New Yawk
    Thanks I'll try it :)

4. Toro

May 18, 2012
    New Yawk
    She doesn't seem to be in pain at all but she doesnt speak english soo...

5. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    If the wound is still bleeding you may need to apply pressure to it. Other than that just keep it clean and see if it will heal without stitches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by