Inner Infection?? Maybe???

Jkuhn12790

Chirping
Jul 14, 2022
Hi there! Long time reader and researcher on this site, but have not posted in quite some time.
I have a 17 week old Buff Orpington that I am almost positive has an inner infection. She has always had this head twitch since she was itty bitty and a few days ago I found her seeming off. She would walk with her head turned like she was trying to hear something. Then the next day, she stumbled out of the coop and just seemed dizzy or almost drunk. I posted a video of her in one of my social media vet groups and someone pointed out that her one ear was super red and swollen looking and to look up symptoms of an ear infection. Everything seems to check out except she has nothing coming out of. No kernal looking thing, no puss, no yellow stuff. Just super red, and super swollen. She refused to let me touch it. The poor thing is miserable and just wants to constantly be held. The moment she gets to my lap she closes her eyes and goes to sleep. She won't eat her normal feed unless I mix it with scrambled eggs or yogurt. Her poop is normal most of the time, but once or twice a day she will have what sounds like a blow of air and then a huge poo that is brown and white and then clear, mucus like stuff around it that looks just sprayed out. (I know that sounds gross). It is clear this ear is super sensitive.

I was advised to put Painkiller-free neosporin on her ear, but I have only seen to do that after using peroxide to clean out the ear. But there is nothing to clean out that I can see. Now, with that said (and this may sound sooo stupid) but I don't even see an opening to her ear. I thought the lower red part was her ear until I looked up the anatomy and saw that was just the Lobe! But her upper ear seems closed?? So I am unsure where to even place to ointment.
I also can't get her to a vet this week so I am hoping there is some sort of antibiotic that I can get OTC for her to help give her some relief. She does sound like she has some hard time breathing but it isn't consistant. I notice it mostly after she has one of her larger poops. Like she strained too hard and was out of breath? The few antibiotics I have looked up show that it is an injection. Is that how I give it to her? I was hoping more for an oral option as I am terrified of hurting her or not inserting it correctly.

I know I sound like such an amateur but I have never experienced anything like this with my other girls before.
Thanks so much in advance!
(I attached a pic of her normal ear and one of the inflammed ear. I am unsure how to attach a video however that I have of her)

Attachments

• goldie1.jpg
    goldie1.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 104
  • goldie2.jpg
    goldie2.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 17
She also tends to walk on her hocks when she isn't going far, but will walk normally on her feet if she is say going across the yard. (No slipped tendons I've confirmed. I had a roost with two and know all about those)

She might have an inner ear infection causing the symptoms you're seeing.
There is a "flap" that covers the ear. As an example in the second photo; the white fluff behind the right eye is the flap. Just pull it down or to the side and you should be able to see the ear canal. You can pull the flap with your thumb and finger and stretch it to see further into the ear canal looking for debris, infection, mite dirt etc....
It's best to wrap her in a towel and secure it around her and tie her feet together so she cant kick. Then lay her down on a table on her side with lamp or light over her so you can see inside the ear canal.
Let us know what you see.

Walking on her hocks can sometimes be a sign of riboflavin (vitamin B 2) deficiency, or a neurological symptom sometimes seen in Mareks. I would give her 1/4 tablet daily of human vitamin B complex daily.

Walking on her hocks can sometimes be a sign of riboflavin (vitamin B 2) deficiency, or a neurological symptom sometimes seen in Mareks. I would give her 1/4 tablet daily of human vitamin B complex daily.
Thank you so much. I am so afraid that it is Mareks. She is definitely struggling to breathe and today she flipped over trying to get to me. All she wants is to be held and sit on my lap. I'll get some Vitamin B complex today. I do have Nutridrench and Poultry cell as well. Do I need to stop giving Nutridrench if I give the vitamin b

She might have an inner ear infection causing the symptoms you're seeing.
There is a "flap" that covers the ear. As an example in the second photo; the white fluff behind the right eye is the flap. Just pull it down or to the side and you should be able to see the ear canal. You can pull the flap with your thumb and finger and stretch it to see further into the ear canal looking for debris, infection, mite dirt etc....
It's best to wrap her in a towel and secure it around her and tie her feet together so she cant kick. Then lay her down on a table on her side with lamp or light over her so you can see inside the ear canal.
Let us know what you see.
Thank you for explaining all of this to me. I was able to do this and I saw absolutely nothing in her ear! It was fully empty, just a hole. I looked in the other side as well and nothing. I am so afraid of this being Mareks.

Thank you so much. I am so afraid that it is Mareks. She is definitely struggling to breathe and today she flipped over trying to get to me. All she wants is to be held and sit on my lap. I'll get some Vitamin B complex today. I do have Nutridrench and Poultry cell as well. Do I need to stop giving Nutridrench if I give the vitamin b
Poultry Cell has riboflavin (b2 while NutriDrench does not.) So you can give her that orally 1 ml for every 3 pounds of weight daily. A 5 pound hen would get 1 2/3 ml.

Thank you for explaining all of this to me. I was able to do this and I saw absolutely nothing in her ear! It was fully empty, just a hole. I looked in the other side as well and nothing. I am so afraid of this being Mareks.
I would treat with the Poultry Cell daily, and make sure that she can reach food and water, or feed her a couple of times a day. Mareks is best diagnosed by your state vet with a necropsy after death. I hope that is not the case. Some labs including RAL will send you materials to collect a blood sample to send back for a Mareks pcr test. For the cost, I would wait on a necropsy. Many things can cause neurological symptoms including head injuries, eating something toxic, or that affects the brain. So, give her some time, and call your state vet now so that you know details about having a necropsy done. It can be much less expensive in some states. Here is a link for the testing lab and another for finding your state vet:
https://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf

https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Back
Top Bottom