Integrating Salmon Faverolles and Barred Rocks 🤔

Great_Strides

Chirping
Sep 13, 2021
Wyoming
We got three Barred Rock pullets (maybe 10-14 weeks old) recently and I spoke for two Salmon Faverolles from the same place to be picked up later. I only researched breeds that would be good with children. Not with each other 🤦‍♀️

We brought the 6 week old Faverolles home last weekend and they’ve been living in my guest bedroom in a dog crate until they are big enough to go outside.

Problem is, I’ve spent the last week reading forums that mention Barred Rocks being a more aggressive bird… And Salmon Faverolles being incredibly docile. Gosh, what have I done?!

Would I be feeding my littles to the wolves by integrating these two breeds? Anybody have success stories? Suggestions? Warnings or words of wisdom?

I've never had Faverolles, but i'd just take the integration slow and see how it goes. All birds are individuals. Yes, there are traits that are common to certain breeds, but nothing is set in stone. I've had quite a few barred rocks and I haven't noticed any of them being overly dominant. There are countless threads on here about using the "see, but no touch" integration process. That's the route I'd go. You already have a dog crate, so you're all set. Remember to have multiple food and water station set well away from each other and provide hiding places that offer at least 2 entry/exit points so that they can't get trapped once you do release the Faverolles into your existing flock. Then just keep a close eye on them and see how it goes.

My worst birds were the red hybrid layers, and won't have them again. Our Favorelles were very meek and mellow, but were able to get along pretty well with most of our other birds. I admit that we haven't had more of them, because they are so mild mannered in the flock. Maybe someday again, they are wonderful!
So introduce them carefully, and hope it goes well.
Mary

They might be more docile but no reason you can't have them in a mixed flock as long as they're carefully integrated, and have the space and resources to avoid conflict.

I have 1 Salmon Faverolles out of 10 birds, in 3 age groups, and she really has no difficulty in getting along with everyone else.

I've never had Faverolles, but i'd just take the integration slow and see how it goes. All birds are individuals. Yes, there are traits that are common to certain breeds, but nothing is set in stone. I've had quite a few barred rocks and I haven't noticed any of them being overly dominant. There are countless threads on here about using the "see, but no touch" integration process. That's the route I'd go. You already have a dog crate, so you're all set. Remember to have multiple food and water station set well away from each other and provide hiding places that offer at least 2 entry/exit points so that they can't get trapped once you do release the Faverolles into your existing flock. Then just keep a close eye on them and see how it goes.
That’s so reassuring to hear that yours haven’t been overly dominant. We’ve grown very attached to our Barred Rocks! They are so entertaining. I’ll be sure to do the “look, but don’t touch” route. It’s supposed to be nice here for the next few days, so I’ll start letting the Faverolles go outside for a bit.

I have a a pair of Salmon Faverolles who are sassy. One even asserts dominance over the other breeds, though none of my hens are aggressive. They hold their own.
I’m hoping this is the case! Our Faverolles seem to pick on each other more than I’ve seen the Barred Rocks do. 🤞🤞🤞 Maybe they are just trying to figure out their own pecking order but I’m hoping they are made of a stronger sort than the norm

Chances are everything will be fine. Just follow the integration advice on here and take it slow. Chickens hate change and newcomers are just outsiders stealing their resources. You have to give them time to accept them being around, while still being protected (dog crate). Then free range them together (if you do that) or just stick them on the roost after dark so that they all wake up together and for whatever reason don't think it's weird. There are multiple approaches, but the dog crate is the first step that paves the way to making the rest work. If you just dump them in there then they're intruders. If they've been there for 2 weeks, but locked in a box they're used to them and not alarmed. There will still be pecking order scuffles, but it won't be nearly as bad as "intruders".

Back
Top Bottom