Integration: Getting them into the coop for night

Feb 15, 2022
I have 4 one year old hens and 4 two month old chicks I’m working on integrating. During the day, they seem ok. There is some pecking order drama going on, but nothing major. They spend most of the day free ranging and spending some time in the run (200sq ft) staying on opposite sides of the run. My younger chicks are living in a tent in the garage and it’s starting to get hot in there (July) and I want to move them in with the other girls at night. They have an auto door that opens at sunrise, so I’m not too worried about them being stuck in there together.

my question: does anyone have any advice about getting them in together at night? The littles are terrified of going in the coop. I can’t bring myself to do the add in the dark approach as I’ve heard that can go really wrong… I’ve attached a photo of the inside of my coop. the older girls tend to sit together on one perch.

Attachments

• IMG_8639.jpeg
    IMG_8639.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
I have 4 one year old hens and 4 two month old chicks I’m working on integrating. During the day, they seem ok. There is some pecking order drama going on, but nothing major. They spend most of the day free ranging and spending some time in the run (200sq ft) staying on opposite sides of the run. My younger chicks are living in a tent in the garage and it’s starting to get hot in there (July) and I want to move them in with the other girls at night. They have an auto door that opens at sunrise, so I’m not too worried about them being stuck in there together.

my question: does anyone have any advice about getting them in together at night? The littles are terrified of going in the coop. I can’t bring myself to do the add in the dark approach as I’ve heard that can go really wrong… I’ve attached a photo of the inside of my coop. the older girls tend to sit together on one perch.
Is there a way you can set up a dog kennel or some kind of cage inside that coop, or divide it in half temporarily with some chicken wire? Then put them into the cage at night for several nights. They'll get used to being inside the coop, and the big hens also get used to them being inside. It should take maybe 3-4 nights of this, or a week or two at most, then you can remove the cage. You might still have to put them into the coop at roosting time, but just supervise until everyone finds their place on a roost.

Is there a way you can set up a dog kennel or some kind of cage inside that coop, or divide it in half temporarily with some chicken wire? Then put them into the cage at night for several nights. They'll get used to being inside the coop, and the big hens also get used to them being inside. It should take maybe 3-4 nights of this, or a week or two at most, then you can remove the cage. You might still have to put them into the coop at roosting time, but just supervise until everyone finds their place on a roost.
That is a good idea. I’ll see what I can put together :)

x2. This is what I use to cage up chicks during transition period. It's just a small rat cage (cardboard on top to catch poop from above):
early8.jpg

In this instance, two days later the chicks voluntarily joined the hens on the roost:
early10.jpg

Back
Top Bottom