Interested in getting bee's

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everyone! I'd like to get bee's sometime in the future. Its something we've been talking about for years, but never put in the time to research it. I don't know a thing about bee keeping, but am excited and willing to learn!
I read in a previous thread they are expensive initially, what is "expensive?" Where can I find my state requirements on keeping them? I read somewhere you may need a permit. What should I do during the winter? It can get awfully cold here, got down to -3 this year in the mornings, but not usually for long, we do get snow. We don't have an established orchard yet, but did plant quite a few apple trees this year. Will this be an issue? We live in a very wooded area with a large yard, plus our garden, will that be enough for them to thrive? How much work are they?
Then more questions about honey gathering, like can you take to much too soon, etc. I don't know much at all, how the colony works, etc. Thanks for all the help everyone! I'm happy to finally be taking the first step in our journey with bees.

Hi! I just wanted to add that I'm getting into bees this year and I have my hive all set up and a deposit on an Italian nuc. It would be fun to start my journey with others who are also starting out on theirs so we can share what we've learned together.
I know a lot of bee keepers who take their hives inside of their barn when the weather gets cold in the winter. I've also been advised to stack hay bales behind and on the sides of the hive to insulate them during the cold winter months. I have a very mild winter here so I'll probably insulate them in December/January.
They are excellent foragers so not having an orchard going shouldn't be a problem. As far as permits, you can find the information you'll need in your county's ag department requirements for beekeeping. Beekeeping groups are also wonderful sources of information and will often times direct you to your department of ag with questions about where, how many, and if permits are required.

See if there is a local apiary/beekeeping club. They will know about the climate challenges and will be able to clarify anything you do not understand from reading. There is plenty of info out there but it's difficult to sort all out at first.

You may also be able to pick up a hive and nuke for not much money from a club member. Doing it all from scratch buying over the internet will be more expensive and less likely to take the first time.

An important note: some states won't allow bees from other states to ship to them. Mine (WA) just so happens to be one of those states, so I found local resources for nucs.
Two of the least aggressive and best novice bee types are Italians and Carniolan Bees. Some nucs offer Italian stock with a Carniolan queen which will give Carniolan traits to the offspring and vice versa. It's important for beginners to research both of them and compare them to decide which ones are most suitable for them and their climate and production needs.

On another note it's best to get your bees preordered in March because a lot of bees are sold out when April comes around. I highly recommend starting them in Spring so they have ample time to prepare their colony for winter!

Another thing is I wouldn't recommend buying old hives and used equipment unless you are absolutely positive that they are disease and parasite free. You could accidentally contaminate your other hives with an unhealthy colony and suffer total losses. Buy your bees from owners/companies that have disease and pest free bees. Definitely do your research on varoa mites and other common and devastating illnesses so you know what to look for when you do your hive inspections.

Thank you for posting! This is so much good info! I did sign up for an online "forum" type thing in my area. I also plan on reaching out to some friends who have bee's to see what their strategy's are. Theres also a bee keeping class here, though the current hours don't work for us, I might see about getting it on that if they change in the future.
I'll keep this thread updated on our progress! Maybe some one else like me might be able to use it someday. :D
Good to know about the hay bales. We have moderate winters, it can get chilly. -3 in the early morning was as cold as it got last year, and last year was colder than usual. Not as bad as some climates, but probably tough on bee's.
Yes, hopefully it will be useful info to people who want to get started! I have wanted bees for years do I've asked a lot of questions and spent countless hours reading. I feel like I'm ready this year and I'm very excited to get started. Hopefully this thread can cut down on all of that painstaking research and uncertainty for others lol

Yes, hopefully it will be useful info to people who want to get started! I have wanted bees for years do I've asked a lot of questions and spent countless hours reading. I feel like I'm ready this year and I'm very excited to get started. Hopefully this thread can cut down on all of that painstaking research and uncertainty for others lol
Definitely! I'll share what I find too! I think the hardest part is finding your resources, and knowing where to look. Maybe we'll be able to stack some up here for anyone looking to get bee's in the future.

I am a beekeeper! I began my first hive years ago, and yesterday got my latest shipment of two new colonies of girls, to increase my hive number. I ordered from a source that came recommended, but for the first time got stung about 15 times. my mistake, ladies, thought you'd like a new home. lol.
If you buy new or used equipment, the drill is the same-I lightly torch all of the woodenware to make sure I'm starting with a nice clean hive. New hives are not that expensive if you're a little handy (and you should be to have bees or chickens!) and order them at amazon and put them together yourself! It only involves knocking in some nails, and painting the hive, to protect the wood, and setting it up in a nice sunny area that doesn't get a whole lot of traffic. Each of my hives cost about 200-that includes two deeps and a medium super, bottom board, queen excluder, entrance reducer, top board-and a cover.(and frames too!) There's the cost of the suit-(highly recommended, so you have confidence when installing your bees, and hive maintenance) which depends on how fancy you want to go.
I agree with the suggestions of joining a bee community, and local bee group that can give you hands on lessons. They're not required, but they do help. Even seasoned beekeepers go to brush up and shake off the rust.
Make sure that your neighbors do not use any kind of pesticide or weed spray-I bribe mine with honey. lol.
Having fruit trees and flowers is great, but remember that hybrid flowers are not optimal for bees. I plant a new native wildflower garden every year around my yard, and near the hives to provide the girls with choices as far as pollen goes. You'll find yourself excited to see dandelions..they are the bees first food of the season, and my fiancé has learned to live with them, even though he'd be out there plucking those dandelions if it weren't for the bees...

Winters are rough, but insulating the hives (I use roofing paper with a hole cut for a little ventilation) really helps. Leaving them enough honey is very important, and feeding them enough is also vital to their survival.

I love keeping bees, it is so rewarding and I find myself watching them fly and return with their "pollen pants", and watching the newly hatched girls taking their orientation flights is relaxing and mesmerizing. I highly recommend the whole experience.
If you have any specific questions-please ask! I would be happy to help!
tempImagetWXxau.png

Bumbles sharing a sunflower
tempImage4yEJnW.png

Little honey girl on my finger

Back
Top Bottom