Interesting Predicament

On people you need to get it off ASAP, because powassan virus only take 25 min of attachment to transmit.

Hey microchick, when I was 5 I did a short stay with my grandparents in Missouri to attend school and I got really sick. They though I might have lymes disease, but they settled on rheumatic fever from untreated strep throat. They never were 100% sure it wasn’t Lyme disease. I spend several months in hospital before moving back overseas.

On people you need to get it off ASAP, because powassan virus only take 25 min of attachment to transmit.

Hey microchick, when I was 5 I did a short stay with my grandparents in Missouri to attend school and I got really sick. They though I might have lymes disease, but they settled on rheumatic fever from untreated strep throat. They never were 100% sure it wasn’t Lyme disease. I spend several months in hospital before moving back overseas.

HA! I have Rheumatic fever also! Sure we weren't separated at birth, LOL! Only I got my RF when I was an old woman of 23 and only spent a month in the hospital. 6 months total in bed. Now I'm looking at possible RA but is it from the RF or the Lyme disease......I'll know when I see a rheumatologist next year.

I'd recommend that you approach your doctor and ask them to run lab work on you just to rule out Lyme disease. A Western Blot and Elisa is what they usually along with tests for co-infections. I know a lady who was sick for 20 years with joint pain, fatigue, general illness. They finally figured out she had Lyme. It was so deeply entrenched in her that she finally had to undergo hyperbaric oxygen therapy in order to push it into remission.

I've often wondered if having one makes you more sensitive to getting the other.

It looks like Powassan Virus is most common in the eastern states and upper NE. No cases in Missouri between 2007 and 2016
https://www.cdc.gov/powassan/statistics.html

Always a good idea to get it checked if you have any unusual symptoms. I really hate ticks. They give me the heebie jeebies. I've had them on me, but luckily not imbedded/bitten.

There is also a new infection that they have traced to Lyme that presents as a severe flu and has been quite deadly.

Interesting fact about ticks and Lyme disease. Mice are a common host for the disease. Newly hatched ticks are known to feed first on mice and acquire the disease and then pass it on.

Kill mice along with ticks.

Lyme, pure and simple:

https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/index.html

This says that it is only transmitted by Black Legged Ticks but I must disagree. Around us it is transmitted by deer ticks and there are studies that have shown that other species are capable of transmitting the disease.

Plus, and this is controversial, Lyme fluent doctors will argue that a simple ten day round of Doxy is not enough to knock down the disease. I was on Doxy for almost 18 months before starting to feel better. The bacteria that causes Lyme cycles. It will become active, then form cysts that attach themselves to your organs and nervous system and reemerge every 28-30 days. It's during those reemergent phases that you have to hit them with the Doxy as the medicine will not penetrate their cysts. It is a nasty, nasty disease.

If you want more information on the disease or forums to join, I recommend this site:

http://lymenet.org/.

The forum is a real eye opener on how devastating Lyme is to people infected with it.

Lyme, pure and simple:

https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/index.html

This says that it is only transmitted by Black Legged Ticks but I must disagree. Around us it is transmitted by deer ticks and there are studies that have shown that other species are capable of transmitting the disease.

Plus, and this is controversial, Lyme fluent doctors will argue that a simple ten day round of Doxy is not enough to knock down the disease. I was on Doxy for almost 18 months before starting to feel better. The bacteria that causes Lyme cycles. It will become active, then form cysts that attach themselves to your organs and nervous system and reemerge every 28-30 days. It's during those reemergent phases that you have to hit them with the Doxy as the medicine will not penetrate their cysts. It is a nasty, nasty disease.

If you want more information on the disease or forums to join, I recommend this site:

http://lymenet.org/.

The forum is a real eye opener on how devastating Lyme is to people infected with it.
Huh, interesting articles. Yeah we use to have a lot of ticks all over our yard but after we got chickens we hardly ever find one. I've gotten bitten by a tick once or twice, should probably get tested for lymes just in case, even though that happened a very long time ago and I didn't get any symptoms...............................

If you are bitten by a Lyme disease carrying tick, it should leave a red bullseye surrounding the bite. Of course, if it happened long ago I don't think it would be visible, but you would have had symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom