Interesting Predicament

MissNutmeg

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Jan 18, 2017
Middle Earth
My Coop
My Coop
Hey y'all I once again need advice on what to do.

Okay so one of my lil buff orpington cocks has a very swollen ear with a big disgusting tick hanging off it, I spent the last hour trying to get the tick of with rubbing alcohol but it's not really working. I was thinking about trying to get it out using a tweezers but if I pull it I might end up leaving the head embedded. He is overall still very alert and drinking and eating okay-ish, seems to be straining a bit when swallowing so I'm keeping him on a liquid diet for now.

I do need some advice on how to get that tick out, I've attached a pic, but it's really bad and dark I apologize for that.

Thanks!
~Meg

20171107_155057.jpg

We keep a few of these around for ticks. We got them at a local feed store for about $5. You can find them online. They work for people and animals alike. There's a tapered slot in the end of the 'spoon' that catches the tick and gets the head out. We think everyone would benefit from having one of these in their first aid kit.....
Good luck!

111111.png
. .

We keep a few of these around for ticks. We got them at a local feed store for about $5. You can find them online. They work for people and animals alike. There's a tapered slot in the end of the 'spoon' that catches the tick and gets the head out. We think everyone would benefit from having one of these in their first aid kit.....
Good luck!

View attachment 1181433 . .
Ah yes I need one of those, but is there any other way I could get it out naturally? Cause I'm not able to make it to a store at the moment......

Is the tick still moving or is it dead?
Try to putting some liquid soap on the tick with cotton ball, hold the cotton ball on the tick for a little bit to see if it will release. Then try to pull it off with the tweezers.

You mention your boy is straining to swallow? I see his ear lobe is swollen, do you think his throat may be as well - probably an allergic reaction to the tick. If you don't have a vet that can see him - give him 1/2 of a 25 mg Benadryl tab to help (hopefully) with that.
For the tick bite - once the tick is removed, wipe it off with a little saline, betadine, soapy water, etc. and apply a triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn.

Keep him drinking and the liquid diet (wet food) is fine.

I hope he gets better, keep us posted.

Is the tick still moving or is it dead?
Try to putting some liquid soap on the tick with cotton ball, hold the cotton ball on the tick for a little bit to see if it will release. Then try to pull it off with the tweezers.

You mention your boy is straining to swallow? I see his ear lobe is swollen, do you think his throat may be as well - probably an allergic reaction to the tick. If you don't have a vet that can see him - give him 1/2 of a 25 mg Benadryl tab to help (hopefully) with that.
For the tick bite - once the tick is removed, wipe it off with a little saline, betadine, soapy water, etc. and apply a triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn.

Keep him drinking and the liquid diet (wet food) is fine.

I hope he gets better, keep us posted.
Hey thanks for the advice! I will try liquid soap. I notice that under his right waddle it feels and looks quite swollen too, do you think it can be an infection from the tick or like you said just an allergic reaction?

I'm guessing he has an infection from the tick bite. I found one imbedded on me last night, and the bite site was painful all day today. Felt like a combination of a deep bruise and an insect sting. I use these little gadgets and after using it on myself, am convinced that it is an absolute must that every household have this or something similar in their first aid kit.
51IGxwiSLFL._AC_UL130_.jpg

Pull slowly with steady pressure until the tick comes off. Ticks have a lot of nasty things in them so you want to get them off as quickly as possible. Getting the head out is of less concern than removing it fast. Though if you pull slow and steady the head should come too.

https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/removing_a_tick.html

I would follow Wyorp Rock's advice for the Benadryl. I usually just pull ticks off my dogs and cats, but if you can get it off with the soapy water or other means, do so. To me it looks like more of a hemorrhage into the tissue, rather than an infection. Ticks seem to inject an anticoagulant, that turn the tissue blue and make it swell. Get the tick off, try the benadryl. Clean the tick site with disinfectent. Let us know what happens.

Back
Top Bottom