Pics

Here is our view of the coop from the kitchen window

and a close up of the front

this is their opening

this is the front porch
smile.png

inside

their yard

looking down on the inside (well,part of the inside)

this is the top in the summer,,we cover these openings in the winter
and yes,,I only have silkies!!
smile.png

Quote:
Because to some minor (I hope) nerve damage in my arm I am unable to swing a hammer much or with a lot of accuracy. Got out the old drill with the driver bits and screwed my coop. Ah! put it together with screws, right.
lau.gif
Just remember to measure twice and cut once. You can do it. BTW HD and Lowe's will cut the big sheets to size for you. a lot more accurately than I could.
fl.gif
I just use a board under my roost. It sticks out about 4" past the roost and has a window at the end I pull it out of to scrape it off. This helps keep the deep litter cleaner.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/92714_gedc0352.jpg

Sorry you can't see it very well in this picture. It is before I had to lower everything my girls were bouncing off the roof when trying to get onto the roost. I added a temp at an angle untill I dropped it all 8" and added a ladder. Everyone is happy now.

I don't know if you have a good supply of shavings for your deep litter
idunno.gif
but I allow all the droppings to fall into my deep litter per a suggestion from someone who has done considerable research into why it is good to do so.
caf.gif
Please check his site, this link will get you to the page where he talks about this and why, http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Beginners.html#4, his writings were written up in Mother Earth News
old.gif
a few years ago (when I read the mag word for word, loved it then). On that page click on HOUSING then scroll down to the 4th paragraph and read what this fellow, Harvey Ussery, has to say, I think you will find it very interesting. Oh yeah, he has also been written up in the BYC mag.
clap.gif
I sure like the idea that I can just change a small amoung of the wood shavings and keep the rest in good shape and with virtually no smell.
woot.gif
You can then spread it in your garden as mulch or add it to your compost. Of course you may have already read this and know what I am talking about.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I would wait for after-halloween sales on storage plasticware. I don't know about your chickens, but mine absolutely LOVE reds and oranges, glowing colors DH refers to as "the womb" colors. Our red ones were $1 each after christmas. I had some salmon/deep orange and purple ones for another project, also for $1 after last halloween.

A sharp kitchen knife carves out the doorway space nicely. If you cut out the space into the rounded corner of the box, the chickens like it even more, they like a rich reddish "cave" to be private in. Just be careful to sand down the edges, and make sure you don't leave any sliver crevices for them to catch a toenail or feathered ankle in.

6chickens in St. Charles :

would wait for after-halloween sales on storage plasticware. I don't know about your chickens, but mine absolutely LOVE reds and oranges, glowing colors DH refers to as "the womb" colors.

Great thoughts! I did notice one hen in particular always came up and looked at something I was wearing if it was red. We thought maybe she was part bull.
smile.png

I'll wait then and see if I can't get something on sale. You can't beat $1.​

Quote:
Okay. I just love this because we were looking at the Lowes sheds the other day. One was on sale, I figure prices now might be a little better, at least in cold weather areas. The one on sale was I think $698 for a 6 x 8, which is smaller than what I'd like, but the 10 x 10s weren't all that much more expensive - I think they were $998, you assemble yourself, the sign said it takes 2.5 hrs. to assemble. (HAHAHA) Comes without roofing.

My husband was concerned about the particle board flooring & rot, and thought a predator could chew thru that, but I see you solved that with the vinyl covering. I was thinking just don't put the flooring in and meshwire the floor instead. Or just meshwire under the flooring, so if it does rot, the wire is there.

Would have to put vents in. And I like windows, so add a couple windows, esp. for hot summer nights.

I absolutely love your clear roofing - never thought of that. I bet your birds will love that. Do you think there will be heat loss issues in the winter?

The thing I love about the sheds is that they open up so fully so you can really get around and clean it out. I was thinking a ladder roost on one side like you have.

Did you have any regrets about your shed kit, or anything you would have done differently next time around? I know they're not the highest quality shed, but for the price, they're good enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom