internally pipped but not externally, when should i help to hatch?

He died. His head was tucked down at the yolk sack and no where near any shell or air. I also probably finished him off by opening the shell but I don't think he would have ever hatched.

aw i'm so sorry to hear this :(
it's amazing how much we invest emotionally in these little guys:hugs

we now have one little duckling hatched, can't quite believe as i think we're about day 33-35! i think i saw movement from another egg this morning, my questions are,
how long can the little dude stay in the incubator as the others haven't hatched (yet?) it's got rather more humid in there since little ones hatching, will that stop the drying out feathers process? and should i remove the kitchen paper covering the bottom as that is wet too? i have no idea if that will help or hinder duckling and eggs?
sorry for lots of queries it's a while since I've done this and a different incubator too!
thanks for your help :)

we now have one little duckling hatched, can't quite believe as i think we're about day 33-35! i think i saw movement from another egg this morning, my questions are,
how long can the little dude stay in the incubator as the others haven't hatched (yet?) it's got rather more humid in there since little ones hatching, will that stop the drying out feathers process? and should i remove the kitchen paper covering the bottom as that is wet too? i have no idea if that will help or hinder duckling and eggs?
sorry for lots of queries it's a while since I've done this and a different incubator too!
thanks for your help :)

I personally transfer them as soon a bit dry (few hours) to a small heated terrarium. And remove egg-shells and birthing-flueds. It depends a bit on your hatching-machine. In my incubator a hatched chick is likely to harm other eggs. I rather do a quick removal to disturb the temperature en moisture at least as possible, then leave them in long.

thanks, i ended up putting a bit more dry towel in to mop up the floor moisture and then left her overnight, i removed her this morning and popped her in a little box with her newly made 'fleecy mama' and she all fluffed out pretty quickly. almost as soon as i'd removed her from the incubator another one pipped so was very good timing, although this one has been on the same hole for about 9 hours now and not moved round at all just sticking out it's beak! hoping more progress is made before i head to bed as i can't see how they'll hatch through just one hole without zipping....

Back
Top Bottom