International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

kcrandall

Crowing
Nov 16, 2015
North Central Texas
A mix of both line 1 and 2 pullets.
Red leg bands are line #1.
A lot of high tails. They seem low at first when they are standing still and then boom...they start walking around and the tails shoot up.
If a pullets tail is low when relaxed then I would not worry. Chickens will raise their tails when they are on high alert.

Bantambird

Free Ranging
Feb 6, 2013
Near Billings Montana
in my climate orpingtons are not good mothers. it is too hot for them to cover the chicks. I like orpingtons but will never ever have them. my poor girl died due to heat at 11 mo.

I had other broodies that were good mothers: silkie, araucana, greek non standard hens and 1 black sex link.

I am glad to hear that legbars get broody too. I have just got 5 pullets and a cockerel of cuckoo legbars. they have been imported from italy and lay dark green (sort of olive) eggs. I googled cuckoo legbars and found nothing. has anyone ever heard of cuckoo legbars?
We have hot dry summers, but spring and fall are both cool. Last spring frost here is late may, and first fall frost is usually early October if not late September, so orpingtons do well here as long as we have shade and water in summer for them. Always wanted to visit Greece, but it sounds like I'd like Grecian winters!

kcrandall

Crowing
Nov 16, 2015
North Central Texas

kcrandall

Crowing
Nov 16, 2015
North Central Texas
Ok it is going to be rooster day this coming weekend, and I have to try and decide who stays for now, and who goes...Could I please get some feedback on these roosters and pullets. Chooks man- who should I pair with who?

This is Number 1. (no names yet) He is black, with copper ears. He is unrelated to all the rest (infact, he is in the next town over at a friends farm, but I can have him) LOL
IMO this cockerel is the best of the 3. He has a halo but otherwise his color is really nice and good type also.

kcrandall

Crowing
Nov 16, 2015
North Central Texas
And this is number 3. I know maybe he is too colourful?? ...But I have a pullet who is black and has very little copper on her neck, so I have been keeping this guy around to see if he would be good to pair with her?
This cockerel is way over colored. I don’t mind a good amount of breast color but he has leakage on his abdomen, legs and wings. If he was the only cockerel I had to work with then I would pair him with an all black BCM Hen of good type, nice comb, long back, proper tail.

Top Bottom