International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Thank you Chooksman! I will try and get individual pictures when we get a sunny day. I will move them out into the main pen. I don't like having them where they are at but it is the best place for the cold winter. I am trying to save their combs from frostbite. I have a reptile light above where they roost. It gives heat but no light.
keeping them safe is the best thing you can do ,photos can wait till the spring time .
chooks man

I loose comb tips every year myself, I don't have an enclosed building besides the hatchery. The hay barn must remain mostly open because hay becomes combustible in enclosed barns, and the chickens have a converted shed that I put in infrared panels and heat lamps, but once it hits -40 I always loose some comb tips. Some day, I will have a real barn. At least the Marans don't die of cold, they are very hardy. I have kept this group here for 9 years now, so they just get a little more weather hardy every year. I bet that is why mine have a bit smaller combs, besides me selecting for it.

I loose comb tips every year myself, I don't have an enclosed building besides the hatchery. The hay barn must remain mostly open because hay becomes combustible in enclosed barns, and the chickens have a converted shed that I put in infrared panels and heat lamps, but once it hits -40 I always loose some comb tips. Some day, I will have a real barn. At least the Marans don't die of cold, they are very hardy. I have kept this group here for 9 years now, so they just get a little more weather hardy every year. I bet that is why mine have a bit smaller combs, besides me selecting for it.
That is way too cold for me. We usually don't get -40 but we do get in the minus temperatures. We have had snow already. It is unusual for us to have snow the first part of November. This could be a cold winter with lots of snow.

are you talking about -40 f or celsius?
Haha! I didn't even think about that! I forget most places use celsius. I was talking Fahrenheit. The coldest we have had here is -25 f but we usually see -10 to -15 in the winter. Even that is too cold for me. I find the cold wet winters usually cause frostbite. We also get quite a bit of wind which makes it feel colder.

Haha! I didn't even think about that! I forget most places use celsius. I was talking Fahrenheit. The coldest we have had here is -25 f but we usually see -10 to -15 in the winter. Even that is too cold for me. I find the cold wet winters usually cause frostbite. We also get quite a bit of wind which makes it feel colder.
thank godness it is not -40 D/C .
me I m like @chickengr we stay worm never reach minus .0 was the coldess did go here in this farm .where I m going +8/+10 will be the lowest will get .lot rain too and high humidity .
@Bantambird and @marchick stay warm this winter and keep yours chooks wormer too .we don t want to loose all those gorgeous small combs .we worked hard for it .
chooks man

thank godness it is not -40 D/C .
me I m like @chickengr we stay worm never reach minus .0 was the coldess did go here in this farm .where I m going +8/+10 will be the lowest will get .lot rain too and high humidity .
@Bantambird and @marchick stay warm this winter and keep yours chooks wormer too .we don t want to loose all those gorgeous small combs .we worked hard for it .
chooks man

as I explained in my previous post they talk about -40 c!

Back
Top Bottom