International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Hi, Chooks man said that I should post some photos of my marans a while ago while responding to a question I had. Now they’re a bit bigger, I’ve got a few photos to share. Any comments are welcome, as this is my first time having them (besides one hen for eggs but she isn’t very good at all). They’re around fourteen weeks, so I appreciate that it’s still hard to tell for certain their quality as adults.
68AC4BFB-1BDB-4D8E-A69F-6B7C51A4EF0A.jpeg
7A3B75C4-0C00-43EE-AB95-26A371CDF2F0.jpeg
CF5FAD02-D6E6-45D0-9D0D-8664344F46CF.jpeg
08CDF869-0188-4D0B-B829-DC1826B669DF.jpeg
80A68211-CFB2-40C5-992D-24178A7D20AA.jpeg
Loki, my cockerel, I don’t think the photos do him justice but he seems to be coming along very nicely. His comb flops to the right at the moment but I’m hoping this improves.
824849F2-4ED9-448B-9258-4B8B19AD5F2B.jpeg
60946D8C-E90C-4296-8591-57A966C08A60.jpeg
My Black copper pullet, probably the worst of the trio, has very yellow legs! Photos not as good but her body is nice and long.
BEA7DD79-E6B5-42B9-9783-56979577632C.jpeg
B0390861-9910-4E7B-B186-F4F402726037.jpeg
C933B0DF-6D8B-49D1-9D05-EB18A180984E.jpeg
My blue copper pullet. I know blue isn’t a standard colour but she can still be used for breeding blacks. She’s always been the biggest pullet and always seems ahead of the others (I had another black one but she died to gapeworm). She has nice copper hackles and is reddening in the face. Already outgrown my silkies who which live with at the moment.
Thanks.

Hi, Chooks man said that I should post some photos of my marans a while ago while responding to a question I had. Now they’re a bit bigger, I’ve got a few photos to share. Any comments are welcome, as this is my first time having them (besides one hen for eggs but she isn’t very good at all). They’re around fourteen weeks, so I appreciate that it’s still hard to tell for certain their quality as adults.View attachment 3346690View attachment 3346691View attachment 3346693View attachment 3346694View attachment 3346696Loki, my cockerel, I don’t think the photos do him justice but he seems to be coming along very nicely. His comb flops to the right at the moment but I’m hoping this improves.View attachment 3346701View attachment 3346706My Black copper pullet, probably the worst of the trio, has very yellow legs! Photos not as good but her body is nice and long.View attachment 3346705View attachment 3346704View attachment 3346703My blue copper pullet. I know blue isn’t a standard colour but she can still be used for breeding blacks. She’s always been the biggest pullet and always seems ahead of the others (I had another black one but she died to gapeworm). She has nice copper hackles and is reddening in the face. Already outgrown my silkies who which live with at the moment.
Thanks.
thank you for posting .
they still young and they will change a lot .but they are healthy .the blue copper pullet is a big type and has a correct body type ,I like her a lot she has a lot going for her .love to see her fully grown and what type of eggs she will be laying .
the cockerel seen to have a good body type for this age good head too ,his tail look to me a little longer but like I said they will change a lot from now till they maturity .. he will have a complete body patern for sure , he is not lucking body color sor sure ,
the pullet with yellow leg not a good one ,
keep posting as they progress .
chooks man

@Chooks man you told us not to hatch pullets eggs. a friend of mine hatched some silkies and a few of them suddenly died at 5 days old without having any issues. they hatched out of the pullet eggs.
Sometimes pullet eggs hatch out babies that are smaller and not as vigorous.

@Chooks man you told us not to hatch pullets eggs. a friend of mine hatched some silkies and a few of them suddenly died at 5 days old without having any issues. they hatched out of the pullet eggs.
I don t know why the peoples hatch pullets eggs any way ,
we need to wait for the pullets to reach one year old , we are working with heritage sllow maturing breeds , we have to give them a time to mature ,
when the pullets reach one year old they eggs are good to incubate ,at this time the pullets are fully grown and they eggs are large enough to incubate .
chooks man

Sometimes pullet eggs hatch out babies that are smaller and not as vigorous.
the factory chooks breeders .-egg laying strain or meat strains ,they breed from the pullet 2 months after they start laying , they are looking for eggs around 60 g to incubate ,that why they chooks are very weak they don t last long ,one laying cycle anf they are done .
we are breeding for longevity . solid chooks who leave and produce for a long time .
for us we need to mate the old to a young - mature old rooster to a young one or 2 years old hens - (and mature older hens to a young rooster , if we do this we end up having progeny with a high vigor and last long to ,because we are preserving the old age genes
chooks man

Hi everyone! What do you think of these three BCM cockerels? I was hoping to have time to let them grow out a bit more, but unfortunately have to cull 1-2 tomorrow :hit
those are very bad photos .we can not see much at all .but any way I say the chose is between #1 and #2 ,
#2 look like he has a uniform copper ..
love to see better photos of cockerels #1 and #2 to tell you witch one is a best .
chooks man

those are very bad photos .we can not see much at all .but any way I say the chose is between #1 and #2 ,
#2 look like he has a uniform copper ..
love to see better photos of cockerels #1 and #2 to tell you witch one is a best .
chooks man
Thank you! Unfortunately, the space is tight and isn’t conducive to very good pics, but I’ll try again! #2 is verrrrry timid after a couple beatdowns by the others and is locked in an Omlet Eglu with a Jaerhon buddy.

Back
Top Bottom