International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Not yet, no. She's one of the 3 pullets that just started laying in December.
One of my MMM only 8 months old has only been laying a short while. She has been broody for 3 days. She's locked away from her nest. Checked on her several times today. She is still clucking and pacing. Told her NOT in January. lol

One of my MMM only 8 months old has only been laying a short while. She has been broody for 3 days. She's locked away from her nest. Checked on her several times today. She is still clucking and pacing. Told her NOT in January. lol
The last couple nights I've had to go looking for her close to lockup. Everyone else meandering around in the barn getting ready for roost. So she's a bit of a wanderer/loner I guess. Both times tho she was still in the yard just happily scratching away by herself. Last night I had to coax her towards the barn, like "ok, girlie !!... we're waiting on you"

How do you think my girl looks (according to the sop)

She’s so sweet, soon I’ll have blue wheaten marans in March!

I’ll also attach my rooster and my upcoming babies. I’m pretty sure there are roosters and one is a hen

My two are 12 weeks my others are 7 weeks old.
I honestly don’t have enough experience to comment on how close or far they are from SOP. I’m sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along to comment on them. I look forward to watching them grow keep us updated as they mature.

Well, maybe she found a hide away she likes? Maggie went broody all at once. Like she didn't even think about it. Just started the cluck cluck cluck. I knew immediately.

Maybe your girl is hiding away with an egg or 2.
I hope so... Kinda. Thank you for the helpful comments. ♥️
Haven't lost a bird since my first flock 3 years ago. Risk we take free ranging I know that but it still sucks. Especially seeing that I was out there in barn if something did grab her.... Ugh !!

Half a dozen deer and a couple rabbits spotted but I found this out about 30' out in the field. 2-3" long.. fox or coyote maybe? Gotta google it.I set my other trap also tonight so got 2 going... Just because.

IMG_20240102_210220.jpg

Half a dozen deer and a couple rabbits spotted but I found this out about 30' out in the field. 2-3" long.. fox or coyote maybe? Gotta google it.I set my other trap also tonight so got 2 going... Just because.

View attachment 3717699
Google says possibly coyote.
Nothing visible when I went out again. So hopefully she's just hunkered down for the night.
IMG_20231107_143509~3.jpg

How do you think my girl looks (according to the sop)

She’s so sweet, soon I’ll have blue wheaten marans in March!

I’ll also attach my rooster and my upcoming babies. I’m pretty sure there are roosters and one is a hen

My two are 12 weeks my others are 7 weeks old.
I’d wait a few more weeks to decide their quality. I’m not seeing any obvious faults yet, I like her legs. The one that is obviously a cockerel could have a bit more colour at that stage, but he could still develop well.

The first girl’s face seems a little long, some of the others have better, short and deep faces. I don’t know how important this is and it may not be obvious when she’s older.

I’d definitely check back in when they’re a little older.

Back
Top Bottom