International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RedBanks, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Chooks man

Chooks man Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2015
    Australia NSW
    some thing does not change . he have to have t at the young age . we are talking color .or he will never catch up

1) Ears tuft copper.
    2) Early shoulder coloring . before 12 week is better to see a sign of red shoulder ,other wise is too late .
    3 coppery chest

a good colored cockerels will show this sign early in they life.

chooks man

2. chickengr

chickengr Overrun With Chickens

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    in which countries did you live? did you breed animals for yourself or you worked in some projects?

you grew up with marans and I have heard about them less then 2 years ago for the first time[​IMG]

3. RedBanks

RedBanks Overrun With Chickens

Sep 18, 2015
    I liked his tail and feet. See I am learning. I read on the French Marans Australia site about needing a little copper on the breast.

4. chickengr

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    what would she say if she knew what people in greece call bcm?
    [​IMG]

they sell their eggs 3,5 eur and 2 month old couples 50 eur. they should go to jail for cheating. although they might be unaware that their chickens are not marans. they find red eggs and thats all they are interested in.

5. RedBanks

Sep 18, 2015
    That is how I feel too. A man came into my shop to buy pepper jelly (I love making it and it is pretty good even if I must say so myself) but I don't have it in the shop. I told him I would make a batch and mail it to him. He said he drove 60 miles to buy it. He wanted to pay me. I said no just glad he likes it. He said he will send me pickles. I was thrilled he liked it enough to want more. I am sharing. I like sharing my passions as well.

6. Chooks man

Nov 12, 2015
    Australia NSW
    I did a lot project in Africa Cameroon ,Nigeria , Mali.Algeria .

worked with project to develop dairy cattle ( cross bred ) for rough condition.

we did a rabbet breeding project in north Africa Algeria and Tunisia.

worked in Scotland with indoor plant Breeding manly Fern and Orchid .

when I was young I bred pigeon , Spanish potter . fancy breed. they are singers .

here in Australia I m working with a marans . but I worked with Dairy breeding 3 rotation breeding program.

a lot stuff.

I do and did genetic for work .

chooks man

7. chickengr

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    life gave me a lesson: what we give we take back, usually not from the same people but we take it back.

I have never heard of pepper jelly. I have just googled and saw a recipe, there is a lot of sugar in it. do you make it with sugar as well? is there any salty version?

sorry, not about chickens.

8. Chooks man

Nov 12, 2015
    Australia NSW
    SHARING is a great gift in life .promote happiness and well been.

Chickengr the chooks from Greece they have no marans on them .

They are Welsumer Cross. they color is Red partidge ( Europian Welsumer lay dark egg too )

Soon you will have a pure marans .so you can show them a breed .

some peoples they need to see them first .other wise they will never know.

chooks man

9. chickengr

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    wow, I don't know what to say.

I have never had any serious contact with chickens or anything that has been connected with nature. that's why I know nothing about it. I have tried to grow vegetable garden but it is a total disaster, partly due to heat, partly bad soil and mostly my ignorance. I have had a bit more success with chickens. my biggest problem is that for me chickens are like dogs and cats, I don't kill them and I couldn't eat them. the others chickens yes but mine never. and they know it. I have a chicken with water belly. I finally decided when my parents come at the end of month that I will tell them to kill her. she somehow understood that and is trying hard to lay eggs. I don't know what to do. is there any chance that she is overloaded with the tapeworms and that her belly is swollen for that reason? my biggest nightmare are tapeworms. there are no medicines here I can use for chickens except human vermox. but it works for 1 day only and does not kill the worm eggs.

10. RedBanks

Sep 18, 2015
    Wonderful, exciting...... living a full life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by