International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Hello Everyone, I have missed you all. I can't figure out this new BYC. Where did my pictures go and my emails? Oh well..... that is what I get for being away so long. I sold 27 chickens today. I kept 9 BCM hens and Antonio! I have been very busy and my chickens have been on the back burner. I was getting 2 dozen eggs a day and just no time to do anything with them so...... I scaled down and kept only BCM. I will try to catch up on the thread..... I couldn't even find it. Chooks Man, Kfelton, KCrandall, chickengr, Braxton missed you all!

Good to have you back - we've missed you!

Hello Everyone, I have missed you all. I can't figure out this new BYC. Where did my pictures go and my emails? Oh well..... that is what I get for being away so long. I sold 27 chickens today. I kept 9 BCM hens and Antonio! I have been very busy and my chickens have been on the back burner. I was getting 2 dozen eggs a day and just no time to do anything with them so...... I scaled down and kept only BCM. I will try to catch up on the thread..... I couldn't even find it. Chooks Man, Kfelton, KCrandall, chickengr, Braxton missed you all!

glad to see you back. we were worried something might have happened to you. don't leave us for so long!

there are more nice people joining this thread. the family is getting bigger:ya

Does blue splash hide other colors? I'm thinking that I will put Jack over the 5 blue splash pullets to get a nice group of blues next year. Many flock mates on this group have some hidden copper and chest mossiness. I'm guessing that the nature of the splash color hides this? I will certainly find out next spring!

Does blue splash hide other colors? I'm thinking that I will put Jack over the 5 blue splash pullets to get a nice group of blues next year. Many flock mates on this group have some hidden copper and chest mossiness. I'm guessing that the nature of the splash color hides this? I will certainly find out next spring!

the Splash gene is a bleaching genes and does affect the black color and effect the pattern .
will work well if you are using a Black copper rooster over a splash hens , because the pattern come from the rooster .
it is nice to breed from the splash if they have a nice body type and good egg color .

chooks man

my hens restart laying yesterday . 3 of them . too early I was not expecting them to restart tell the middle /end of the month .
guess they like the new farm location weather .
the 5 eggs are number 5 nothing special .just nice sheen .
P1050859.JPG

chooks man

PS ; I found a small egg in the pullet pen .they are just 5 month old .hatched a day before Xmas .

well happy about the thing .

my hens restart laying yesterday . 3 of them . too early I was not expecting them to restart tell the middle /end of the month .
guess they like the new farm location weather .
the 5 eggs are number 5 nothing special .just nice sheen .
View attachment 1018700
chooks man

PS ; I found a small egg in the pullet pen .they are just 5 month old .hatched a day before Xmas .

well happy about the thing .

new farm - new luck! glad to hear the good news.

the eggs are nice.

all of my chickens came from #5 or #5-6 eggs. is there any chance I will get darker eggs than that? how does the egg colour work? #5 + #5 always gives #5 or not?

new farm - new luck! glad to hear the good news.

the eggs are nice.

all of my chickens came from #5 or #5-6 eggs. is there any chance I will get darker eggs than that? how does the egg colour work? #5 + #5 always gives #5 or not?

thanks chickengr

the egg color inheritance is more complex than that . there is so many genes involved to make a color .
some of genes are from mama hen and other are from the rooster .
so a hens with a #5 egg color can give progeny with 2/3/4/5/6/7 egg color depend on the rooster she s been mated to .
some times we loose a dark color in the first crossing/mating but it show it self back in the second generation . it is a reason why I always say we have to cross the F1 progeny together at lease ones to get the accumulation of the genes needed for dark egg .than when we achieve that we can out-cross them to other line/lines.

egg color is reinforce in line breeding not individual . so we have to breed a line specifically for a dark color egg .

chooks man

thanks chickengr

the egg color inheritance is more complex than that . there is so many genes involved to make a color .
some of genes are from mama hen and other are from the rooster .
so a hens with a #5 egg color can give progeny with 2/3/4/5/6/7 egg color depend on the rooster she s been mated to .
some times we loose a dark color in the first crossing/mating but it show it self back in the second generation . it is a reason why I always say we have to cross the F1 progeny together at lease ones to get the accumulation of the genes needed for dark egg .than when we achieve that we can out-cross them to other line/lines.

egg color is reinforce in line breeding not individual . so we have to breed a line specifically for a dark color egg .

chooks man

thanks.

I am afraid I need more explanation.

I have LINE1 which seems to be #5 - 5+.

I got the eggs #5 that hatched female chicks (I hope) - lets call it LINE2.

if I cross line1 and line2, is there any chance I can get the eggs darker than #5?

thanks.

I am afraid I need more explanation.

I have LINE1 which seems to be #5 - 5+.

I got the eggs #5 that hatched female chicks (I hope) - lets call it LINE2.

if I cross line1 and line2, is there any chance I can get the eggs darker than #5?

if both line are from #5 than they should give you some thing darker #6 .but to find this pullets with #6 you need to hatch a lot chicks .
greater is the hatch number ,greater will be a chance to find a special chooks

a study has been done by the French Marans Breeding Syndicat show that from 100 eggs hatched all from a stable dark egg layer only 20/30 pullets will have a dark egg .the rest have a light egg ( still dark but not as #6/7 number )

breeding for the dark egg color is the most complex thing to do .be passion and hatch as many chicks as you can than select from them .take years of hard work .but it is worth it I think.

chooks man

if both line are from #5 than they should give you some thing darker #6 .but to find this pullets with #6 you need to hatch a lot chicks .
greater is the hatch number ,greater will be a chance to find a special chooks

a study has been done by the French Marans Breeding Syndicat show that from 100 eggs hatched all from a stable dark egg layer only 20/30 pullets will have a dark egg .the rest have a light egg ( still dark but not as #6/7 number )

breeding for the dark egg color is the most complex thing to do .be passion and hatch as many chicks as you can than select from them .take years of hard work .but it is worth it I think.

chooks man

thanks.

the marans chikens are so cute with a nice character so breeding them is worth anyway.

I might introduce blue marans who lay dark eggs. the person who got them has very few of them so I will be on the list for 2-3 pullets.

Back
Top Bottom