International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

thanks Keith .I m well pleased with them .just waiting for them to restart laying .
I have been taking a lot fertile eggs order for this season .hopefully they don t let me down .

I think I have a best looking marans chooks in the country and peoples noticed that .so they want to buy any thing is for sale NO many any way .I m keeping them for my self .
I m only releasing a limited number of egg from few line that all .
the rest still work on progress .

chooks man

Sounds like a good plan!

thank my friend .

the French people from the French Club told me years ago when I started the crossing to recreate the Birchen variety that I m not going a make it .they say I ll never be able to come out with a pure silver . They where so wrong
4 generation now from the first crossing of Scandinavia ( mama Birchen hens and a Black copper rooster) and I have managed to come out with a pure silver .
Guess I was right and they where wrong

I know my chooks genetic and I know I can do it . I m not french .I can do any thing I like

chooks man

Haa, I like your attitude!! Keeping doing what you are doing cause your doing something right my friend.

I've a question about breeding. (it's a long ways away for me but I want to be sure to understand)! I've one Marans hen. I will keep the best male. I understand that I can put her in a pen with 4-5 other hens and put my male in to get fertile eggs from her to incubate (and eat the mixes which will be different colour) but how do breeders do selective breeding when they only have one breed (ie same colour eggs for everyone)?
I have seen nest boxes that "trap" the hen, but do you really do that? I mean it seems to me that this would be very time consuming!

ps,I am struggling to find someone with BCM eggs available and trying to prepare myself for the possibility that i will only have the one hen for next year.

I've a question about breeding. (it's a long ways away for me but I want to be sure to understand)! I've one Marans hen. I will keep the best male. I understand that I can put her in a pen with 4-5 other hens and put my male in to get fertile eggs from her to incubate (and eat the mixes which will be different colour) but how do breeders do selective breeding when they only have one breed (ie same colour eggs for everyone)?
I have seen nest boxes that "trap" the hen, but do you really do that? I mean it seems to me that this would be very time consuming!

ps,I am struggling to find someone with BCM eggs available and trying to prepare myself for the possibility that i will only have the one hen for next year.

I have started with 1 hen. hatched 1 female and the mother hen died. so year 2 and 1 hen only again. I now have 6 chicks, probably 3 boys and 3 girls although I am not sure about 1-2 girls if they really are girls. then I got the eggs from a friend of mine and hopefully hatched 5 girls. I think it is still early to trap hens as we need a flock first.

I guess we should start with small steps. discard only the birds with obvious faults like parasitic white, vulture cocks, etc. we cannot afford to cull a lot of birds at the beginning so in my opinion for the first year or two it is not crucial to trap hens. I might be wrong.

thank my friend .

the French people from the French Club told me years ago when I started the crossing to recreate the Birchen variety that I m not going a make it .they say I ll never be able to come out with a pure silver . They where so wrong
4 generation now from the first crossing of Scandinavia ( mama Birchen hens and a Black copper rooster) and I have managed to come out with a pure silver .
Guess I was right and they where wrong

I know my chooks genetic and I know I can do it . I m not french .I can do any thing I like

chooks man

your birds are gorgeous as usual.

I met quite a lot of french people in my life. some of them are really nice but a lot of them are just arrogant. ignore them and keep doing what you have been doing.

btw, did they think that birchen marans fell from the sky?

your birds are gorgeous as usual.

I met quite a lot of french people in my life. some of them are really nice but a lot of them are just arrogant. ignore them and keep doing what you have been doing.

btw, did they think that birchen marans fell from the sky?

they forgot the original Birchen come from a Silver cuckoo X Black copper.

all good with me .I have a pure Birchen now . who is a winner .

chooks man

IMG_5269.JPG
IMG_5273.JPG
IMG_5274.JPG
IMG_5302.JPG
IMG_5314.JPG
IMG_5316.JPG
IMG_5325.JPG
IMG_5333.PNG
IMG_5334.JPG
Here is my Jem. I think she is so pretty and she is my husbands favorite pullet. The black is so black with blue/green sheen at certain angles and the gold is vibrant against the black. We love her. She is middle to low on the pecking order and very friendly. I'm a beginner to chicken keeping. Is she a good example of the breed? I posted when she was younger and she was almost a solid black chick with just a little white on the belly.
ETA she is approximately 11 weeks old but a little younger in some of these pictures

As a breeder of a marans chooks I can tell you YES ,I do trap all the breeders hens when I m breeding .especially when they start laying they first 20/30 eggs.

it is time consuming .it is a reason a good breeders sale the fertile eggs expensive .

chooks man

View attachment 1027087 View attachment 1027088 View attachment 1027089 View attachment 1027090 View attachment 1027092 View attachment 1027093 View attachment 1027094 View attachment 1027095 View attachment 1027096 Here is my Jem. I think she is so pretty and she is my husbands favorite pullet. The black is so black with blue/green sheen at certain angles and the gold is vibrant against the black. We love her. She is middle to low on the pecking order and very friendly. I'm a beginner to chicken keeping. Is she a good example of the breed? I posted when she was younger and she was almost a solid black chick with just a little white on the belly.
ETA she is approximately 11 weeks old but a little younger in some of these pictures

she is a real beauty!

Back
Top Bottom