International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

If it wasn't for Chooks man and this thread I would still be trying to figure things out. I would still be culling/rehoming my BCM over every flaw. This thread taught me to work with what I have, how to change direction and given a choice, how to make the right choice. I am so thankful for everyone on this list. My advice if you are new to the thread and you have the time, read the thread from the beginning. The information here is amazing. Special thanks to all that keep contributing and treating every question with respect.

we are all here to help each other to breed good marans chooks . that what make this thread good .
is all about the marans chooks .

chooks man

My family thinks the straw in Ck1 is 'pretty.' :rolleyes:

As I mentioned, Ck2 had some frostbite. His comb had a twist in the front and in the back. I'll see if I can dig up a before picture.

Here's Ck1 's dam. She has zero saddle feathering (from the roos :mad: ) and is starting to moult neck feathers right now, so you'll have to use your imagination. She's the second biggest hen, and I watched her lay eggs for a whole week, so I know her egg color is the best.
View attachment 1107575

I like her . the color I see on her hackle ,even is a little is copper red .good one .
So Ck1 did inherit some recessive gene was there .because she has not any straw and she is short on her feet .

how many chicks did you hatched from her and Ck2 ? please .

chooks man

PS .straw or golden hackle look great on the Wheaten rooster not a BLM . I know a lot people who prefer strw colored hackle ,but it is a big fault

I like her . the color I see on her hackle ,even is a little is copper red .good one .
So Ck1 did inherit some recessive gene was there .because she has not any straw and she is short on her feet .

how many chicks did you hatched from her and Ck2 ? please .

chooks man

PS .straw or golden hackle look great on the Wheaten rooster not a BLM . I know a lot people who prefer strw colored hackle ,but it is a big fault
Just those two. I am going to hatch a batch from the dam x Ck2 come December. I'm glad to hear that its recessive. Maybe it won't turn up in the other chicks. Ck1 is pretty leggy and upright...

Just those two. I am going to hatch a batch from the dam x Ck2 come December. I'm glad to hear that its recessive. Maybe it won't turn up in the other chicks. Ck1 is pretty leggy and upright...

Dam X Ck2 is a great combination .just you need to hatch at least 25 chicks from them to see exactly what they true genetic make up .and what possible color paten they will throw .

chooks man

Does anyone on this thread raise the golden-blue or silver-blue variety marans? I understand they are not recognized in the standard yet. I know this is a black copper marans thread, so I appologize and won't say anymore about it if I don't need to mention other colored marans. I had someone offer to sell me a blue copper marans rooster, but I don't know if I should buy him or not. Probably should just concentrate on my BCM for now. I guess it just depends on the price tag. If the breeder sends me a picture I will post it. I do not know yet if he is silver or gold variety. Thanks in advance for any imput.

RedBanks,

Otis is well except that he is beginning to molt so he's not looking as handsome as he did last fall. Otis is almost 18 months old so I'll soon know his true color after he comes out of molt.

Gus is a good name for your dog and Woodrow too! Lonesome Dove is one of my favorite movies - I've seen it many times.

Take Care,
Keith

Good Evening Keith,

I am anxious to see Otis. He is so nice. I had not thought about how important this molt is for me too! Antonio and a couple of hens have white. This evening I was out with the chickens and took a look at my motley crew! What a scraggily bunch of birds! Then I thought about what you had written, now we see their true color after this molt. Antonio still looks pretty rough but I don't see any white, anywhere and that weird wing feather that Chooks man noticed last year is gone. The hens are in various stages of molt but so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom