International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

RedBanks

Crowing
Sep 18, 2015
I have two black Copper cockerels and four pullets there all about 4 months old.two of the pullets look good to me. But I really have no clue what I'm looking at other then size,shape,eyes and basic color. As soon as these girls start laying good eggs Ill be posting pics for advice!
Before all these changes on BYC we were able to go to an old post just by entering the number of the post in a go to box. I don't see that anymore. Post 1142 explains how to post pictures for evaluation. It helps the thread help you. It helps give a better understanding of what we see, what we want to see and some insight as to how we might get there. Now I am off track. Does anyone know how to get to an old post on the new BYC?

RedBanks

Crowing
Sep 18, 2015
Sorry for the numerous posts, sharing more pics! This is the egg of my one and only FRF hen. She has been laying steadily all summer and her egg color has remained dark and lovely.
View attachment 1078063

Hey Kayla,

Same with me, I have 9 FRF hens. Although some hen's eggs are darker than others, each hen's eggs are consistent for that hen in color. They have not faded and eggs are steady. Can't wait to see the eggs after this molt.

RedBanks

Crowing
Sep 18, 2015
I m actually writing a books . more of the work manual to be exact . name it . " my journey with a marans chooks "

is going to be great asset to any body who like a marans chooks .how to breed them ,rise them ,work with , genetic make up . genetic mapping . etc.............

plus half of it will be photos of gorgeous marans of all varieties .

chooks man
I want to be on the waiting list. How in the world do you have time for this too!

RedBanks

Crowing
Sep 18, 2015
My thoughts are I will pair him to his aunt who has a lower tail to balance out his high tail. Here she is.
View attachment 1078012
Does your FRF line have high/large tails? Antonio's tail has calmed down with the molt but some of my hens have very upright tails. They are thin and closed but too high, a couple are at 90 degrees.

Last edited:

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Before all these changes on BYC we were able to go to an old post just by entering the number of the post in a go to box. I don't see that anymore. Post 1142 explains how to post pictures for evaluation. It helps the thread help you. It helps give a better understanding of what we see, what we want to see and some insight as to how we might get there. Now I am off track. Does anyone know how to get to an old post on the new BYC?
I don't think we can, but they were looking into it.
I've bumped the thread and asked again:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/post-numbers.1173267/page-2#post-18858863

RedBanks

Crowing
Sep 18, 2015
Everyone will have to forgive me..... I am trying to read about 6 months worth of posts. I am sorry I missed all of these great pics and posts. I am commenting as I go.... all old news to you!

Last edited:

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Thank you for reminding them. So the little tracker at the bottom of my page is gone too! I liked that.
Yeah, many were unhappy with that loss.....
...and a lot of other functions too.
Some can be 'restored' but it's a whole different platform so<shrugs>ohwell.

RedBanks

Crowing
Sep 18, 2015
When you ask the thread to evaluate your birds it will be helpful if you include pictures that will give us a good idea of the overall bird and also allow us to see important details.

These are examples:

Side

Front

Rear

Head

Back

Thanks to all for posting pictures of your birds. This and Chooks man have helped me understand more about Marans than reading ever could. Everyone jump in and evaluate, that is what will make us breeders. Learning what we like and what we want to see in our birds and how to get there. Don't be afraid to make a mistake. Another thing I like about this, when you are looking at your birds in your yard I think we stop seeing them in a way. When I look at a picture I can really see the bird without prejudice.
It wasn't post 1142, it was 1407. I am reposting this with picture examples. I love the pictures that everyone submits of their birds. I think this single exercise (of course started by Chooks man) has helped me more than anything. By evaluating birds against the SOP (French) I have learned to translate the words into the physical.

Chooks man

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW
Does your FRF line have high/large tails? Antonio's tail has calmed down with the molt but some of my hens have very upright tails. They are thin and closed but too high, a couple are at 90 degrees.
if they are close thin closed at the top than only the angle need to be worked and fixed . you have the shape and form for now . no bad

breed Ontonio with your best hen ( best tail .lower angle ) and hatched from them cockerels . they ll have lower tail angle . select from them the best ones

do not keep cockerels with high tail angle . that will complicate you breeding in the future .

chooks man

Top Bottom