International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I have been reading alot of chooks mans advice, and I saw where he had mentioned the BLCM as being a compatible variety to have along with the BCM. The photo Fanci Feathers Farms posted of her BLCM is gorgeous. I have decided to go ahead and purchase the BLCM rooster. I will add a pic when I get him on Tuesday. Good night to all.
I would offer you some hatching eggs, but my hens are broody right now. :(

Does anyone on this thread raise the golden-blue or silver-blue variety marans? I understand they are not recognized in the standard yet. I know this is a black copper marans thread, so I appologize and won't say anymore about it if I don't need to mention other colored marans. I had someone offer to sell me a blue copper marans rooster, but I don't know if I should buy him or not. Probably should just concentrate on my BCM for now. I guess it just depends on the price tag. If the breeder sends me a picture I will post it. I do not know yet if he is silver or gold variety. Thanks in advance for any imput.

here we talk about all the marans . because they are the same breed , just different body color pattern that all .

Blue copper is actually a Black copper with extra added bleaching gene BI ( just one copy )
the silver Blue or a Blue birchen is a Birchen with a blue gene BI ( bleaching gene)

Blue copper need a black copper in they breeding pen .better result ,better blue and better under coat ( Fluff )

I work with a Blue and black in the same breeding pen they yield 50/50 .

I m working with all the marans varieties and I m developing few new ones .

good luck with a blue copper you are going to buy .

chooks man

I have been reading alot of chooks mans advice, and I saw where he had mentioned the BLCM as being a compatible variety to have along with the BCM. The photo Fanci Feathers Farms posted of her BLCM is gorgeous. I have decided to go ahead and purchase the BLCM rooster. I will add a pic when I get him on Tuesday. Good night to all.

good on you .

can wait to some photos .

chooks man

I have two black Copper cockerels and four pullets there all about 4 months old.two of the pullets look good to me. But I really have no clue what I'm looking at other then size,shape,eyes and basic color. As soon as these girls start laying good eggs Ill be posting pics for advice!

I have two black Copper cockerels and four pullets there all about 4 months old.two of the pullets look good to me. But I really have no clue what I'm looking at other then size,shape,eyes and basic color. As soon as these girls start laying good eggs Ill be posting pics for advice!

Before all these changes on BYC we were able to go to an old post just by entering the number of the post in a go to box. I don't see that anymore. Post 1142 explains how to post pictures for evaluation. It helps the thread help you. It helps give a better understanding of what we see, what we want to see and some insight as to how we might get there. Now I am off track. Does anyone know how to get to an old post on the new BYC?

Sorry for the numerous posts, sharing more pics! This is the egg of my one and only FRF hen. She has been laying steadily all summer and her egg color has remained dark and lovely.
View attachment 1078063

Hey Kayla,

Same with me, I have 9 FRF hens. Although some hen's eggs are darker than others, each hen's eggs are consistent for that hen in color. They have not faded and eggs are steady. Can't wait to see the eggs after this molt.

I m actually writing a books . more of the work manual to be exact . name it . " my journey with a marans chooks "

is going to be great asset to any body who like a marans chooks .how to breed them ,rise them ,work with , genetic make up . genetic mapping . etc.............

plus half of it will be photos of gorgeous marans of all varieties .

chooks man

I want to be on the waiting list. How in the world do you have time for this too!

My thoughts are I will pair him to his aunt who has a lower tail to balance out his high tail. Here she is.
View attachment 1078012

Does your FRF line have high/large tails? Antonio's tail has calmed down with the molt but some of my hens have very upright tails. They are thin and closed but too high, a couple are at 90 degrees.

Last edited:
Before all these changes on BYC we were able to go to an old post just by entering the number of the post in a go to box. I don't see that anymore. Post 1142 explains how to post pictures for evaluation. It helps the thread help you. It helps give a better understanding of what we see, what we want to see and some insight as to how we might get there. Now I am off track. Does anyone know how to get to an old post on the new BYC?
I don't think we can, but they were looking into it.
I've bumped the thread and asked again:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/post-numbers.1173267/page-2#post-18858863

Back
Top Bottom