International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Thank you for reminding them. So the little tracker at the bottom of my page is gone too! I liked that.
Yeah, many were unhappy with that loss.....
...and a lot of other functions too.
Some can be 'restored' but it's a whole different platform so<shrugs>ohwell.

When you ask the thread to evaluate your birds it will be helpful if you include pictures that will give us a good idea of the overall bird and also allow us to see important details.

These are examples:

Side

Front

Rear

Head

Back

Thanks to all for posting pictures of your birds. This and Chooks man have helped me understand more about Marans than reading ever could. Everyone jump in and evaluate, that is what will make us breeders. Learning what we like and what we want to see in our birds and how to get there. Don't be afraid to make a mistake. Another thing I like about this, when you are looking at your birds in your yard I think we stop seeing them in a way. When I look at a picture I can really see the bird without prejudice.

It wasn't post 1142, it was 1407. I am reposting this with picture examples. I love the pictures that everyone submits of their birds. I think this single exercise (of course started by Chooks man) has helped me more than anything. By evaluating birds against the SOP (French) I have learned to translate the words into the physical.

Does your FRF line have high/large tails? Antonio's tail has calmed down with the molt but some of my hens have very upright tails. They are thin and closed but too high, a couple are at 90 degrees.

if they are close thin closed at the top than only the angle need to be worked and fixed . you have the shape and form for now . no bad

breed Ontonio with your best hen ( best tail .lower angle ) and hatched from them cockerels . they ll have lower tail angle . select from them the best ones

do not keep cockerels with high tail angle . that will complicate you breeding in the future .

chooks man

if they are close thin closed at the top than only the angle need to be worked and fixed . you have the shape and form for now . no bad

breed Ontonio with your best hen ( best tail .lower angle ) and hatched from them cockerels . they ll have lower tail angle . select from them the best ones

do not keep cockerels with high tail angle . that will complicate you breeding in the future .

chooks man

Thanks..... the hens have good tails. I am anxious to see what happens after the molt. All of Antonio's large tail feathers that you saw last year are gone. Are they going to come back when he is thru molting? The new cockerel (chick) has a tail, wide tent right now but he is only two weeks old. Of course this surprises me because his uncles and sire were all slow feathering and had no tails for months.

I want to be on the waiting list. How in the world do you have time for this too!

for me there is always time when it come to chooks.
it is the only thing I really like doing. working with the chooks .

chooks man

PS .I ll send you a copy when it is ready . a lot photos and genetic explanation of all the marans chooks varieties

Thanks..... the hens have good tails. I am anxious to see what happens after the molt. All of Antonio's large tail feathers that you saw last year are gone. Are they going to come back when he is thru molting? The new cockerel (chick) has a tail, wide tent right now but he is only two weeks old. Of course this surprises me because his uncles and sire were all slow feathering and had no tails for months.

they ll come back .
the tail form/shape and angle do no change after molting . only the feathers colors will change if there is a parasitic white in there .

it is great sign if your little chick has a tail ( early feathering type) .
the cockerel tail is inherited from his Dam not from his sire
the pullets tail are from the sire .

here the formula =
Early Feathering type Rooster X slow feathering type hen = all the pullets progeny will be early feathering type and all the cockerels will be slow feathering type ( split )

EFT Rooster X EFT hen = all EFT progeny
SFT Rooster X SFT hen = SFT progeny

the commercial chooks peoples use this traits to sex a day old chicks

chooks man

here we talk about all the marans . because they are the same breed , just different body color pattern that all .

Blue copper is actually a Black copper with extra added bleaching gene BI ( just one copy )
the silver Blue or a Blue birchen is a Birchen with a blue gene BI ( bleaching gene)

Blue copper need a black copper in they breeding pen .better result ,better blue and better under coat ( Fluff )

I work with a Blue and black in the same breeding pen they yield 50/50 .

I m working with all the marans varieties and I m developing few new ones .

good luck with a blue copper you are going to buy .

chooks man
here we talk about all the marans . because they are the same breed , just different body color pattern that all .

Blue copper is actually a Black copper with extra added bleaching gene BI ( just one copy )
the silver Blue or a Blue birchen is a Birchen with a blue gene BI ( bleaching gene)

Blue copper need a black copper in they breeding pen .better result ,better blue and better under coat ( Fluff )

I work with a Blue and black in the same breeding pen they yield 50/50 .

I m working with all the marans varieties and I m developing few new ones .

good luck with a blue copper you are going to buy .

chooks man
Thank you chooks man. I was looking at the French Maran's Club website and they mentioned a Golden Blue variety, and then a Silver Blue variety that they said was not approved yet. Since I am new to learning about all the different genetics I thought that maybe there were two different blue types? Thank you for explaining. The woman that I am buying Blue Boy from said that his father is a black copper marans, and his mother is a splash marans hen.

I would offer you some hatching eggs, but my hens are broody right now. :(
Fanci Feathers Marans, you are to kind!! And I completly understand. Once I begin hatching chicks, if you like the way they look I would be happy to send you some hatching eggs as well. They will be Little Peddler x Bev Davis/Wade Jean.:)

Back
Top Bottom