International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Im hoping I get a few chicks with better hatch down from them. It was a little disappointing seeing this chick with so much white, but that is something I have been culling for in this line. I think I am going to wing band chicks straight out of the incubator and record their down color for reference later.

it is a best way to tug the chicks and take note about they hatch down when they hatch .

most BCM and others ER/ER chooks breeders don t give too much attention to the hatch down of they chicks ,it is very ,very important .
the hatch down of the chicks tell a lot thing about they genetic make up .

chooks man

Breeding season 2017 part 2;

Pen1 BCM and BLCM all ready done 10 days ago .
Pen2 Blue Wheaten Roo Elvis over a Wheaten hens . done a last Sunday

today ;
Pen 3 ; Viking2 Birchen Roo over a 5 Birchen hens and 3 Silver cuckoo hens.

Pen 4 ; Cream Leg Bar .they aren t laying yet .

all the fertile eggs produced from this pens are going a be shipped to peoples who all ready paid for them and placed an order 3 months ago .

all good .

chooks man

Snowbird can you tell me please what Ernie Haire BCM line is famous for .type .egg colr .body pattern ?
Ernie Haire, has several different varieties of Marans. His BC lay a 6-7 on average. These females I used are several year old. Ernie has done real well showing his Marans to the APA SOP for several year. I am a type breeder an happy with a #6 on average for color.

Hey, guys. I'm still new at this, so I want to run this by you before I do anything. These are culls, right?

Black one is small. He has lots of white on wings, huge legs and feet, and an odd-shaped head with small side sprig.

Not so sure about the blue one, but he is a little on the smallish side, too. Tail is kind of pinched shaped when fully feathered. Also straw hackle.

IMG_20170823_101506168.jpg

IMG_20170823_101312152.jpg

IMG_20170823_100952557.jpg

IMG_20170823_100950228.jpg

Hey, guys. I'm still new at this, so I want to run this by you before I do anything. These are culls, right?

Black one is small. He has lots of white on wings, huge legs and feet, and an odd-shaped head with small side sprig.

Not so sure about the blue one, but he is a little on the smallish side, too. Tail is kind of pinched shaped when fully feathered. Also straw hackle.

View attachment 1119100
View attachment 1119101
View attachment 1119103
View attachment 1119105
Just a thought I am assuming that these are hatch mates?

Little Magepie is six weeks old now. Chooks man told me she was a pullet from hatch day, and he was correct!!! She is starting to get some hackle color. I think I may spy a copper earlobe! Super excited to watch her mature. Hoping she will mature into a beautiful adult.

Attachments

• MP6w.jpg
    MP6w.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 47
  • BCM.jpg
    BCM.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 8
it is a best way to tug the chicks and take note about they hatch down when they hatch .

most BCM and others ER/ER chooks breeders don t give too much attention to the hatch down of they chicks ,it is very ,very important .
the hatch down of the chicks tell a lot thing about they genetic make up .

chooks man

Sounds like a plan then. I like wing bands because the number follows the bird for the rest of its life. We have a hen that is 16 years old and she still has her original wing band. Leg bands fall off or break at times, but we very rarely have a chicken to lose a wing band.

View attachment 1119100
View attachment 1119101
View attachment 1119103
View attachment 1119105

you are alright .both are a cull too many fault pilled up in one tiny body .

BCM parasitic white .small and bad comb . all major fault .
he has stunning body marking and rich uniform red copper . shame

BLCM . straw hackle .small and has a white under fluff ( should be grey /blue ).

parasitic white and lighter under fluff are the nightmare to breed out .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom