International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Here they are with their numbers, these might be easier to see.
pixlr_20171016083821790.jpg
pixlr_20171015192444544_20171016083902146.jpg
pixlr_20171015192619283_20171016084026957.jpg
pixlr_20171015192744971_20171016084104257.jpg
pixlr_20171015192713480_20171016083943337.jpg
pixlr_20171015192822248_20171016084137555.jpg
pixlr_20171015192919595_20171016084212315.jpg
pixlr_20171015193000870_20171016084238202.jpg
pixlr_20171015193049519_20171016084305739.jpg
pixlr_20171015193122309_20171016084328262.jpg

(Edit to fix order)

Last edited:
Hensanddoes, this is a very good explanation from chooks man as to why you should choose Chester over Sue! Please disregard everything I said!!! I think I need to be quiet until I get the hang of this a little better:oops:.

we are free to speak our mind .
i you don t give it a go ,how you are going to get the hung of it.

I don t tell people what to do with they chooks .I just comment on them and give my thought in how to get the best of them .

the problem we facing as chooks breeders is= the chook we like never turn up to be as good as we hope for . or we lose them .

chooks man

my other keeper:
View attachment 1161116 View attachment 1161117 View attachment 1161118
his comb still makes me cry but his body shape and mass are good. we shall see his true colour later. his sweet character makes me want to keep him forever.

I am not sure if the bottom of his hackles are gold or light copper.

great body type .
his hackle has 2 tone . copper and gold .

I like the first cockerel better . but let them do more growing .

I really like they body type .you cracked it .make more of them please .

the pullet hackle is stunning . BRAVO
photo of her please .please.please . don t make me wait long time .

chooks man
I m so proud o you .you come a long way

I don t tell people what to do with they chooks .I just comment on them and give my thought in how to get the best of them .

the problem we facing as chooks breeders is= the chook we like never turn up to be as good as we hope for . or we lose them .

chooks man
The best thing on this thread after Chooks man is that we support each other. We learn from sharing, we learn from our mistakes, we learn from the heartbreaks and the successes. We help each other. I have been on enough threads that are about intimidation, ridicule, negative criticism and poor advice. We don't tell people to cull we share our knowledge and ask questions that reveal answers. It is very hard to throw away the old thinking that our birds must be perfect. I should know better. I raised Bouviers. If you are lucky a litter might contain a champion albeit a champion that came close to the SOP but wasn't perfect.

Every chicken we want to throw away with the right knowledge can produce the kind of chickens we want in our program. I always think of Brenda Little, Little Peddler. She didn't have a choice. She had three chickens and couldn't go outside her French lines.

We have incredible knowledge on this list. Sometimes I hold back my opinions because I am afraid they are tainted with that old "cull" mentality. Even when I think a bird is good, I second guess myself. We have to take these lessons to heart and apply what works for us.

Chooks man gave me a lesson early on. He asked me to critique a bird using the SOP (French). What an eye opener. Most importantly look at the bird as a whole not in parts.

Trust yourself, ask questions, make comments, don't stop. You are probably making a comment or asking a question someone else wanted to. We all learn from every exchange. Again I just think we are so lucky to have this thread.

bald Rooster, your cockerels are beautiflul, I really like the color of the cockerel in the front. He has a lot of mass. He is back is so wide and his neck is very broad and beautiful. His eyes are pretty, but from the pictures do not look as deep orange as the cockerel behind him. I think the front cockerel has the nicest comb of the two, and nice flame in his hackle. Also both have nice copper ear tufts. Only real fault I see is that his tail set is a little high and his back is a little short. He has pretty shanks and leg feathering. Your second cockerel is very nice as well, his hackle is lighter, he has a very nice long back and a longer neck. Looks like his tail set is better. His comb is bigger though. I really love the coloring and the mass on the cockerel in the front, but your second cockerel in the back is closer to the SOP body wise I think. Both are gorgeous and have great qualities to pass on to their offspring. Well done. Please keep in mind I am still learning a lot about marans. I could be wrong about some of these things. I really think both are gorgeous and have something to offer.

impressed . getting there .

Chooks man

great body type .
his hackle has 2 tone . copper and gold .

I like the first cockerel better . but let them do more growing .

I really like they body type .you cracked it .make more of them please .

the pullet hackle is stunning . BRAVO
photo of her please .please.please . don t make me wait long time .

chooks man
I m so proud o you .you come a long way

thank you.

my first cockerel had gold in hackles before molting. his feathers are still growing so I guess he will be like the other one. he is better looking, has small comb and tail, short feet, etc. the second cockerel has huge comb and is bigger than him but his body shape and mass look good to me.

you will have to wait a bit for the other photos. my parents came to visit me so I don't have time to take photos. give me 1 week time to do that.

chooks man
Chooks man you have a very unique gift! I didn't mean for my comment to sound like you were raking me over the coals in any way. I was just trying to be humorous, that is all. I know you don't tell people how to breed their birds, but we follow your philosophy because you are very wise in this field. All of your beautiful birds attest to that. I made a bad judgement, and I am happy to have learned from it. You have taught me a lot. I hope that hensanddoes chooses Chester, because now Chester makes sense. I know I need to go back and study deeper the things you have said. Thank you for sharing your wisdom. I am sure most breeders that are as accomplished as you are keep their secrets locked up tight.

The best thing on this thread after Chooks man is that we support each other. We learn from sharing, we learn from our mistakes, we learn from the heartbreaks and the successes. We help each other. I have been on enough threads that are about intimidation, ridicule, negative criticism and poor advice. We don't tell people to cull we share our knowledge and ask questions that reveal answers. It is very hard to throw away the old thinking that our birds must be perfect. I should know better. I raised Bouviers. If you are lucky a litter might contain a champion albeit a champion that came close to the SOP but wasn't perfect.

Every chicken we want to throw away with the right knowledge can produce the kind of chickens we want in our program. I always think of Brenda Little, Little Peddler. She didn't have a choice. She had three chickens and couldn't go outside her French lines.

We have incredible knowledge on this list. Sometimes I hold back my opinions because I am afraid they are tainted with that old "cull" mentality. Even when I think a bird is good, I second guess myself. We have to take these lessons to heart and apply what works for us.

Chooks man gave me a lesson early on. He asked me to critique a bird using the SOP (French). What an eye opener. Most importantly look at the bird as a whole not in parts.

Trust yourself, ask questions, make comments, don't stop. You are probably making a comment or asking a question someone else wanted to. We all learn from every exchange. Again I just think we are so lucky to have this thread.
Very well said! Redbanks, you should be so very proud of your thread. Look how long it has lasted, and how many comments! Still going strong.

Back
Top Bottom