International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

He looks really good! How old? I bet you could put him over a lot of hens.

Wait: you're gonna cull him? Why? You have another that you like better?
28 weeks.
Im not for sure going to cull him. But there are three reasons I might. Semi-aggressive behavior(always been. Tried to correct it but didnt work), wing angle, and his color. I under stand that type comes before color, but...
Think I should keep him?..

28 weeks.
Im not for sure going to cull him. But there are three reasons I might. Semi-aggressive behavior(always been. Tried to correct it but didnt work), wing angle, and his color. I under stand that type comes before color, but...

I think you're a level above me (no surprise there). Wing angle? I don't understand this aspect as I haven't seen it spoken of here yet. Can you explain for a novice? Color I think is great. Both my Roos really came into it at 9 mos - 1 yr. now are overcolored and I only have 2 hens that can potentially counteract that. I bred my blue copper over a cream legbar and was surprised how much copper each chick shows. Therefore I have a hen that will be purely for eggbasket unless I get less colored offspring next year.

As for temperament- I won't tolerate. My newest cockerel tried to tidbit me so I guided him away with my foot. He came right back with his shuffle dance and I booted his ass. He's been a perfect gentleman ever since. Smart on his part.

I’m super disappointed with the egg laying. 30 weeks and I think only one pullet is laying....about every 3rd day since she started a month ago. :th
Happily the color looks good now, but good grief!
My CLs are several weeks younger and are laying like champs.

28 weeks.

Hang onto him for as long as you can tolerate. Cockerels continue to develop and change, believe you me. A bird at 6 months can look like a totally different bird at 8 months. If he gets too out of hand with his aggression and you decide to cull him for that, I can't say I blame you. We just culled my mean Marans cockerel the other day. He got so aggressive he was attacking my husband when he was feeding (he usually just attacked me). So my husband was losing patience with him and took him out with a .22 rifle. :rolleyes:

I think you're a level above me (no surprise there). Wing angle? I don't understand this aspect as I haven't seen it spoken of here yet. Can you explain for a novice? Color I think is great. Both my Roos really came into it at 9 mos - 1 yr. now are overcolored and I only have 2 hens that can potentially counteract that. I bred my blue copper over a cream legbar and was surprised how much copper each chick shows. Therefore I have a hen that will be purely for eggbasket unless I get less colored offspring next year.

As for temperament- I won't tolerate. My newest cockerel tried to tidbit me so I guided him away with my foot. He came right back with his shuffle dance and I booted his ass. He's been a perfect gentleman ever since. Smart on his part.
If you look at the picture posted his wings are almost verticle. Always had that problem with him. Wings are supposed to be more horizontal. (Sorry...not much of an explainer :p ) oh and BTW I am a novice, too. This is my second year with Marans.
20181007_162447.jpg

Hang onto him for as long as you can tolerate. Cockerels continue to develop and change, believe you me. A bird at 6 months can look like a totally different bird at 8 months. If he gets too out of hand with his aggression and you decide to cull him for that, I can't say I blame you. We just culled my mean Marans cockerel the other day. He got so aggressive he was attacking my husband when he was feeding (he usually just attacked me). So my husband was losing patience with him and took him out with a .22 rifle. :rolleyes:
Looks like I'll be keeping him then. Hopefully he changes... and for the good.

I’m super disappointed with the egg laying. 30 weeks and I think only one pullet is laying....about every 3rd day since she started a month ago. :th
Happily the color looks good now, but good grief!
My CLs are several weeks younger and are laying like champs.
The egg laying capacity of the Black Copper Marans that I have is not good. Like you say 30 weeks until you get your first egg! I have 3 pullets that are 28 weeks, no eggs! There are only 52 weeks in a year. My hens started molting in late July, early Aug. No eggs! 1st of Oct still no eggs!! I think this breed has been way inbreed for egg color and the egg capacity is gone, gone, gone!! I would like to take my best egg layer and breed from her, but that is only 3 eggs a week (when they are laying) . TOM

IMG_4092.JPG
Eek. Just weeks ago I was complaining on not getting eggs. My 3 have been laying for a couple weeks now and at a good clip. I'm thinking they are taking a day off every 4th day. They are now 24 wks. I'm happy with the color too. The girl with a full copper hackle lays a speckled egg. Pretty for the basket but not a great match for my Roos. She lays the lightest egg also. I can't wait to hatch from the other 2. They have hardly any copper showing and lay a tad darker

View attachment 1555166 Eek. Just weeks ago I was complaining on not getting eggs. My 3 have been laying for a couple weeks now and at a good clip. I'm thinking they are taking a day off every 4th day. They are now 24 wks. I'm happy with the color too. The girl with a full copper hackle lays a speckled egg. Pretty for the basket but not a great match for my Roos. She lays the lightest egg also. I can't wait to hatch from the other 2. They have hardly any copper showing and lay a tad darker
Very nice!!

Back
Top Bottom