International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

They are doing ok! The one black Copper pullet has a damaged comb. She is one of my two breeders. I don't think she was born that way. They are in with the rooster. I think he damaged it trying to breed her. I was getting some eggs from that pen but they stopped laying. I was even getting pullet eggs.

your 2 new pullets did they start laying ? if yes what colour eggs?
I hate when the rooster damages the hens comb .

chooks man

I really need a vet in the family! Our black cat Leopold had a big lump appear on his toe. He is 2 1/2 years old and it ended up being cancer. About $600 to remove his toe. Praying the cancer doesn't return. He said it was a very aggressive cancer but he got it all.
As a child, mom was an on call vet. There were many nights we went with on calls because no babysitters on short notice and dad often went on calls just to provide muscle on big animal calls. The things you see and smell... It changes a person. I'm not affected by much in the way of appetite when confronted with surgery. We got to help when older, essentially I'm unofficial vet tech. I'm the poultry contact when they have certain questions, though.

your 2 new pullets did they start laying ? if yes what colour eggs?
I hate when the rooster damages the hens comb .

chooks man
Not sure which is laying but we got a few fairly dark eggs from that pen. They all have stopped laying in there. It has been pretty cold. There are three BC pullets in there now and 2 of the 3 are my breeders.

Not sure which is laying but we got a few fairly dark eggs from that pen. They all have stopped laying in there. It has been pretty cold. There are three BC pullets in there now and 2 of the 3 are my breeders.

Summer hatched pullets .they start laying in winter . not a nature way .
I like winter and spring hatch pullets . they start laying before winter set in .

chooks man

As a child, mom was an on call vet. There were many nights we went with on calls because no babysitters on short notice and dad often went on calls just to provide muscle on big animal calls. The things you see and smell... It changes a person. I'm not affected by much in the way of appetite when confronted with surgery. We got to help when older, essentially I'm unofficial vet tech. I'm the poultry contact when they have certain questions, though.
It takes special people for that job. The blood and stuff wouldn't bother me but you need to have nerves of steel. What you do or don't do can cost them their lives. I would have a hard time losing them.

I like winter and spring hatch pullets . they start laying before winter set in .

chooks man
I was really hoping to start hatching March 1st out of Blazes pen. Ruby and Jade hatched April of last year so they will be close to a year old. I will try a couple hatches and see what I get. That will give the other pen time to get a couple more months on them.

Last edited:

chooks man
I will also have to move mom out of Blazes pen into Nimbus pen. After I have hatched from her and Blaze. I will have to wait a month to make sure she is clean.

Back
Top Bottom