International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

She did- she said her flock is very small and won't have anything for sale from them.
I also tried two places in BC (across the country). Sounds like shipping is a real PITA and they'd rather just sell local. So its really facebook or craigslist or kijiji. Its so funny that it can be so hard to find a type of chicken. :idunno

Well, that’s disappointing! I’ll keep watch on The Marans Club website for any Canadien Members that may be able to help you out.

The only problem is that DH has become very aggressive and I really don't want to perpetuate that trait if possible. Plus he has the halo I would like to weed out. I was hoping to get a good enough replacement to cull him this year. :(

shame he is turning to be aggressive ,
Halo does not bother me in this pairing ,because they proven to throw correct cockerels .
as chooks breeder I do look at the faults the parent stock carry ,but I look for is what they produce .if they can correct each other .compatible .that what I look for .
I do not look at the breeding pair with a same eyes as a chooks judge .
what they produce is more important to me than they look .lot great looking chooks not be able to reproduce or better them selves .
just Genetic mind .

Broken wing is his replacement son . I think he will surpass his sire and grand sire .. we can not afford loosing these gorgeous looking marans ,plus you don t have a lot .so make sure they are separated from the other and well looked after .they are your future breeders .do not let any thing happen to them .
please make sure the keeper pen is highly secured .

chooks man

Thank you! We will be culling all of the Golden hackle birds (we call them lemon necked). I hope to thin quite a few birds out this weekend. :)

that will give you more room for the keeper .
yes cull all the golden hackle cockerels .has to end now .
Dark eyes ,you can forward it one more generation without trouble ,because Dark Angel is correct every where except his marbled eyes .so we can cross back his pullets to him as long as they have orange eyes .that will produce a cockerel with a correct eyes .

you are one generation away to remove dark eyes .
you have regained the copper quality your line had before but with a long back and gorgeous tail .
still some work to be done ,but your are in the right truck 100% . you know what you are doing for sure .

chooks man

that will give you more room for the keeper .
yes cull all the golden hackle cockerels .has to end now .
Dark eyes ,you can forward it one more generation without trouble ,because Dark Angel is correct every where except his marbled eyes .so we can cross back his pullets to him as long as they have orange eyes .that will produce a cockerel with a correct eyes .

you are one generation away to remove dark eyes .
you have regained the copper quality your line had before but with a long back and gorgeous tail .
still some work to be done ,but your are in the right truck 100% . you know what you are doing for sure .

chooks man

Thank you! I just have to look through the birds and find a clear eyed pullet off Dark Angel. So far there are none. Would a clear eyed pullet from his brother be okay as long as her copper and type is good?

shame he is turning to be aggressive ,
Halo does not bother me in this pairing ,because they proven to throw correct cockerels .
as chooks breeder I do look at the faults the parent stock carry ,but I look for is what they produce .if they can correct each other .compatible .that what I look for .
I do not look at the breeding pair with a same eyes as a chooks judge .
what they produce is more important to me than they look .lot great looking chooks not be able to reproduce or better them selves .
just Genetic mind .

Broken wing is his replacement son . I think he will surpass his sire and grand sire .. we can not afford loosing these gorgeous looking marans ,plus you don t have a lot .so make sure they are separated from the other and well looked after .they are your future breeders .do not let any thing happen to them .
please make sure the keeper pen is highly secured .

chooks man

It is secured. I have them in an 8x8 pen my husband made from pallets. I am going to look through the grow outs again today to see if any more need to be caught up. :)

Thank you! I just have to look through the birds and find a clear eyed pullet off Dark Angel. So far there are none. Would a clear eyed pullet from his brother be okay as long as her copper and type is good?

here what I m trying to say .
Dukes is the foundation sire = replaced by 2 sons ,half brothers
Dark Angel line and Dark Halo line = you bred them this year . you have both they progeny .
So now we have to maintain both sire lines =
Dark Halo has to go because he is aggressive plus his son Broken wing look to be a good replacement .
Broken wing will paired with pullets with Dark eyes regardless where they come from ,

Dark Angel we don t have his son to work with .plus he is good rooster . we need to mate him to good colored eyes pullets regardless where they come from .

keeping both sire line going will help you fix the fault very quick , you don t have to back cross .
cousin breeding is more efficient
if Dark Angel give you a replacement son ,that will be good .

chooks man

Thats what I thought. Thanks! I am parting ways with the blue coppers for good. I want to be able to focus more on my black coppers. :)

Blue copper are bad idea .I don t know who started it in a first place .
Blue should be kept solid blue no pattern is needed .
I m going to do a same thing .breeding the BLC out , keeping only BC and Splash copper

chooks man

Blue copper are bad idea .I don t know who started it in a first place .
Blue should be kept solid blue no pattern is needed .
I m going to do a same thing .breeding the BLC out , keeping only BC and Splash copper

chooks man

Glad we have the same thoughts on that. I have struggled with blue coppers every year and just can't get them right. The battle is not one worth fighting for me anymore. It will open more pen space for single mating my black coppers. I will be rehoming my blue copper hens to a friends house. :)

Back
Top Bottom