International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Is she just a paint, as in I/i+, half dominant white and half black? She looks a lot like that to me, but I remember her being more mottled.
I just looked back and saw how different she was, do you remover what colours each parent was? Maybe it’s a strange interaction between paint and the E^R allele on the E locus rather than the usual E based paints.

Question for all you experts...I just hatched 3 wheaten Marans, they are 3 days old and 1 has dark coloring on the wing tips, cockerel?
I'm prolly no help here, I know absolutely nothing about Wheaton's but I did do a quick search and the masses say that wing sexing is not possible at this early of age.
A link to a similar thread...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sexing-wheaten-marans-chicks.1221403/

And I found this
Screenshot_20240330-115257.png

In this thread...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wheaten-maran-sexing-by-color.1596998/

Hope this helps until others can chime in... 🙂

I'm prolly no help here, I know absolutely nothing about Wheaton's but I did do a quick search and the masses say that wing sexing is not possible at this early of age.
A link to a similar thread...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sexing-wheaten-marans-chicks.1221403/

And I found this View attachment 3786322
In this thread...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wheaten-maran-sexing-by-color.1596998/

Hope this helps until others can chime in... 🙂
Thx hun! I'm growing them all out, so I've got time, lol, just getting all the knowledge I can since I'm new to this breed and color

Thx hun! I'm growing them all out, so I've got time, lol, just getting all the knowledge I can since I'm new to this breed and color
Your welcome... Sure wish @Chooks man were here, he has a bunch of them (edited...he has a bunch of every Marans, lol) if you scrolled back thru the thread.
Please post pics when you can, would love to see them... 🙂♥️

Brooder room is ready. But I need some venting suggestions. Floor is concrete, plastic lined, 1" foam, plastic lined again and then sheeted. Ceiling is HC with plywood loosely laid over, 1 1/2" foam and then a moving blanket so that can be moved.
Should I..
Pull some of ceiling off.
Pull a sheet off of the Marans side. (I worry about their pop door being in direct line and wind)
Or I could pull the top small sheet off the man door.
Or not pull any because most all the walls are just thin plywood/luan and not solid and it's probably venting enough thru all the small gaps. Room is 21 sqft.
I'm running 92F on the floor under lamp and 50F in far corner at floor. 40F outside.

All suggestions welcome. 🙂
IMG_20240330_165428.jpg

Pass thru to Marans coop
IMG_20240330_165509.jpg

Man door on left
IMG_20240330_165612.jpg

Ceiling
IMG_20240330_165658.jpg

Man door has HC on other side
IMG_20240330_165721.jpg

Looking at pass thru from Marans coop.
IMG_20240330_170934.jpg

Marans pop door, I'm standing in doorway, brooder is on left
IMG_20240330_165750.jpg

Is she just a paint, as in I/i+, half dominant white and half black? She looks a lot like that to me, but I remember her being more mottled.
It is hard to tell. She started out a black silver when she was about a month old, she started getting white feathers. She has since gained more and more white feathers, pure white, not yellowed at all. There is recessive white in the flock, but those usually are hatched white to start. I had another hen a few years ago that had some lighter mottling effects, but it was just the feather tips in a few scattered feathers across the body feathers. I suspect that that hen may be her grandmother.

It is hard to tell. She started out a black silver when she was about a month old, she started getting white feathers. She has since gained more and more white feathers, pure white, not yellowed at all. There is recessive white in the flock, but those usually are hatched white to start. I had another hen a few years ago that had some lighter mottling effects, but it was just the feather tips in a few scattered feathers across the body feathers. I suspect that that hen may be her grandmother.
Yeah, recessive white dilutes everything from the start, it’s an extreme example of leucism (not quite albinism). It’s really odd that the pattern would change like this though, it’s like it’s a different phenotype now. The fact that you think it’s passed on from the grandmother shows it might be recessive, is the grandmother the mother of her sire or dam (so we can see if it’s sex linked)?

How bad is parasitic white in your flock? That’s the only example I can think of when white would increase with age like this, but not usually in hens like this.

Yeah, recessive white dilutes everything from the start, it’s an extreme example of leucism (not quite albinism). It’s really odd that the pattern would change like this though, it’s like it’s a different phenotype now. The fact that you think it’s passed on from the grandmother shows it might be recessive, is the grandmother the mother of her sire or dam (so we can see if it’s sex linked)?

How bad is parasitic white in your flock? That’s the only example I can think of when white would increase with age like this, but not usually in hens like this.
There is some parasitic white, it is more prominent in the original group. The recessive white showed up a few years ago ( I think my husband brought in the blue silver group for me in 2016, the whites came from them, because I realized that the rooster that carried it was blue. The first white hatched in 2019 I think. This hen is an anomaly. I would certainly send her to someone with better pens for study, for sure.

Back
Top Bottom