International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Good luck. Great looking eggs. How far and long did they travel?
I thought the brown spot on the chicks head was a funny trait on the list. The BCM cockerel I used had a distinctive brown spot.
Montana to Michigan... Roughly 1,442 miles. Shipped Monday. Post office called at 10am. So 2 days, Priority.

All the brown spots I ever saw on mine were OE's...🤣

Found this breeder in Texas, only 2 1/2 hrs away in Nacogdoches, I don't "need" them, but when I saw the coloring, I decided I "had" to have them🤷🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240523_065555_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240523_065555_Samsung Internet.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20240523_070818_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240523_070818_Samsung Internet.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20240523_070850_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240523_070850_Samsung Internet.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 12
@BlueTheBrahma

What are your thoughts on this guy? I have some young chicks sired by him. He is 23 weeks old in the photos.
View attachment 3840562View attachment 3840563View attachment 3840564
Type and Carriage (40): 25
a bit narrow at the front, breast could be fuller and deeper. Back a decent length. Tail at good angle but too long and too open in structure, making it look square at the end.

Size and Quality (20): 15
Fully feathered well, feathers nice and close to body. Size is always hard to tell on photos but he seems like a big, strong bird.

Colour and Markings (15): 9
Lovely colour, nice glossy black and most of the hackles are stunning. Faults include the paler yellow ring half way down the hackles (I think it’s called a halo?), the lack of colour in the saddle, and the lack of deep mahogany red in the shoulder.

Head (10): 8
Really, really nice comb, very good size and shape for a marans (front half better than back half). Beak strong and correctly coloured, wattles fantastic and round, no twists. Nice earlobe, no white in it and not twisted. Eye lets it down: too yellow, it should be deep red/orange. The ear feathers should also be copper.

Condition (10): 9
really red in the face, sign of a very healthy chook. Clearly active and clean.

Legs and Feet (5): 4
Nice and pink with slate shading. Correctly feathered and wide apart (I think, though I can’t see them in neutral position), not too long either. Only thing that I took a point off for is that I’d say the slate shading is too much, as pink/white should be the primary colour of the leg. If someone disagrees with that last point please correct me.

Overall (100): 70
A great Marans rooster with a couple of imperfections. Definitely worth breeding to try and correct type and eye colour. The other faults may randomly go away with breeding to the right hens.

Type and Carriage (40): 25
a bit narrow at the front, breast could be fuller and deeper. Back a decent length. Tail at good angle but too long and too open in structure, making it look square at the end.

Size and Quality (20): 15
Fully feathered well, feathers nice and close to body. Size is always hard to tell on photos but he seems like a big, strong bird.

Colour and Markings (15): 9
Lovely colour, nice glossy black and most of the hackles are stunning. Faults include the paler yellow ring half way down the hackles (I think it’s called a halo?), the lack of colour in the saddle, and the lack of deep mahogany red in the shoulder.

Head (10): 8
Really, really nice comb, very good size and shape for a marans (front half better than back half). Beak strong and correctly coloured, wattles fantastic and round, no twists. Nice earlobe, no white in it and not twisted. Eye lets it down: too yellow, it should be deep red/orange. The ear feathers should also be copper.

Condition (10): 9
really red in the face, sign of a very healthy chook. Clearly active and clean.

Legs and Feet (5): 4
Nice and pink with slate shading. Correctly feathered and wide apart (I think, though I can’t see them in neutral position), not too long either. Only thing that I took a point off for is that I’d say the slate shading is too much, as pink/white should be the primary colour of the leg. If someone disagrees with that last point please correct me.

Overall (100): 70
A great Marans rooster with a couple of imperfections. Definitely worth breeding to try and correct type and eye colour. The other faults may randomly go away with breeding to the right hens.
The way you break this down is very informative, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom