Internet sales?

rebelcowboysnb

Confederate Money Farm
11 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Independent State of Dade NWGa
Why is it when you try to sell anything over the internet everyone asks you to hold it for them for X amount of time? Its bad enough that they actually ask such a question but they actually expect you to do it.... Sure if someone says there on there way don't sell it on me I will give them time to make the drive before I respond to the next email but the "I'll come look this weekend" stuff, no....

Do y'all hold things?

I've never had someone say 'Please hold this for me' and have them show up. If someone doesn't want something enough to get it now, they really don't want it.

I had someone last week want me to hold some chicks for her until the weekend. I told her the only way I would is if she would pay for them via Paypal. She did.

I have had people that did show up when I did hold it but its something like one in ten that do. No where near worth it to me even if every one showed up like they said. Im not turning down a sale now for a sale at the same price later just because of an email...

Back in the day when I was doing craft shows--woodwork, original, one-of-a-kind items--I'd have people stop by and just gush about a piece but, since they wanted to see the rest of the show, tell me to hold it until later. 9 times out of 10 they never returned. We in the trade called them "be backers" and most vendors would pretty much ignore them. After my first year I'd tell them either pay for it now and I'd hold it or I couldn't promise that it would be there when they returned. BTW, I'm still waiting for the gal who was running the local mall to return for a box she "just had to have" that I held for her for the duration of the show.

Last edited:
Same here, maybe one in ten actually show up. I had someone ask me to hold a blue rooster 3 days, until Friday. Okay, I can do that. (no one was beating down the door for him anyway)
He didn't show up, didn't call.

On Sunday, I relisted the rooster. Guess who emailed, wanting to know if I'd hold the rooster until Friday? Yep, same guy. I said sure, but anyone who shows up with cash first is who will get him. Sold him Tuesday, to a nice family who had decided they wanted a rooster for their flock. Guy emailed, wanted to know why the ad was gone? I then gleefully sent him copies of ALL our emails.
big_smile.png

I no longer hold anything at all, unless my spidey sense kicks in and tells me I can trust that person. Pretty rare.

woodmort, I worked craft shows for years, with my leaded and etched glass. I had that happen a lot. I finally said if they paid in advance they could pick it up later. But no payment equaled no hold. But the worst for me was people taking pictures of my stock and running away, literally. One lady had a guy out front with the engine running! Ran through, took lots of picture of my original work and hauled tail to the car. Aaargh.

I'd almost forgotten about the lady who wanted me to hold hatching eggs for her. They were going on vacation for 2 weeks.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom