Intestinal bacteria

Attachments

• 20200729_165234.jpg
    20200729_165234.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
Yes, I believe they had cocci when young, I think they were around 2 months and I did treat. When I say "I believe", they had something, I treated with corrid, it went away.
This I asked to see if had ever been bad enough to cause necritis to intestines.. cause poor performance and hence MAYBE the issue types you are seeing.. Usually though vitamin deficit would be more probably than bacterial issues.. BUT I'm no scientist.

And the question I missed...yes, they are marek vaccinated, assuming the hatchery did it when asked.
I also question if Marek's might be the source of the actual problem.. reducing vigor and allowing bacterial issues??

You Might consider ordering a kit and sending it in for testing.

Me personally.. the 9 year old gal.. proves you've done something RIGHT.. The one year old gal is inviting illness, disease, parasites, and predation upon the other 3.. Euthanasia MIGHT be the kind thing to do for the gal constantly facing issues and being treated, your other flock members, and EVEN yourself, and your resources..

You've sought veterinary help.. several times.. they are human, make mistakes, and continue to learn like us.. they are just ruling things out to the best of their ability. It's tough to have been worrying about and caring for an animal long term.. makes us feel very connected to them and their will to live!

My TRUE/honest thought is hidden disease bringing down the immune system..

I just found this typed but unposted don't know how long ago it was intended..

Since you used corid, I recommend SMZ-TMP or sulfadimethoxine to treat coccidiosis. Metronidazole will not treat it.
Coccidia protozoa is NOT what's being treated for.. has been clarified in the first post and several times since then.. Unless I'm missing something?? Did they ever yet share WHICH drugs were used already?? :confused:

Which strain of cocci are you dealing with?
Cocci is plural for Coccus bacteria. (spherical, rod, or spiral shaped).

Coccidia.. a protozoa are too often shortened as cocci.. There are 9 - 11 strains of coccidia known to effect chickens.

I know you probably already recognize this.. and posting for anybody else who might see it.. Please.. folks lets start using full correct terms and keeping things straight. :highfive:

This I asked to see if had ever been bad enough to cause necritis to intestines.. cause poor performance and hence MAYBE the issue types you are seeing.. Usually though vitamin deficit would be more probably than bacterial issues.. BUT I'm no scientist.

I also question if Marek's might be the source of the actual problem.. reducing vigor and allowing bacterial issues??

Me personally.. the 9 year old gal.. proves you've done something RIGHT.. The one year old gal is inviting illness, disease, parasites, and predation upon the other 3.. Euthanasia MIGHT be the kind thing to do for the gal constantly facing issues and being treated, your other flock members, and EVEN yourself, and your resources..

You've sought veterinary help.. several times.. they are human, make mistakes, and continue to learn like us.. they are just ruling things out to the best of their ability. It's tough to have been worrying about and caring for an animal long term.. makes us feel very connected to them and their will to live!

Coccidia protozoa is NOT what's being treated for.. has been clarified in the first post and several times since then.. Unless I'm missing something?? Did they ever yet share WHICH drugs were used already?? :confused:

Coccidia.. a protozoa are too often shortened as cocci.. There are 9 - 11 strains of coccidia known to effect chickens.

I know you probably already recognize this.. and posting for anybody else who might see it.. Please.. folks lets start using full correct terms and keeping things straight. :highfive:
I was asking what the vet found: staph or strep. But I'm clearly stupid. I will refrain from speaking about it and leave it to experts to discuss.

Thanks for pointing that out. It's that "cocci" word again lol. The only drug mentioned was Metronidazole and that's all.
I havnt dealt with Marek's neither, so anything is possible the way I see it.

Last edited:
I don't believe their coccidia, as young ones, was that bad. There was never blood or any stool weirdness. I treated the minute they said they didn't feel well (puffed up and pouty) and they improved within 12 hours.

I was asking what the vet found: staph or strep. But I'm clearly stupid. I will refrain from speaking about it and leave it to experts to discuss.
I'm surprised your offended that I asked folks to be clear and please not abbreviate cocci since it doesn't actually help any one and creates all kinds of confusion. A simple request blown out of proportion. :hmm

I never ever claim myself to be an expert.. I learn something new every day.. and KNOW that we are all doing our best to help. And even so called experts are not the know all end all to everything and are still speaking only according to their CURRENT comprehension and experience. The smartest and brightest mind KNOW they are VERY limited in their understanding.. that's NOT the same as stupid. But pity parties are best left to individuals.. so have at it if that's what makes sense you.. chicken friend.. Please DON'T let one persons comment CONTROL your actions.. everything you do is a choice including being offended by me expressing that we have TOOOO many words in the English language with the same sound but different meaning.. You KNOW this.. Either way.. my request was NOT a personal attack.. I mean NO arrogance or cockiness.. and just HOPE to help my fellow animal keepers. My apology that it didn't come across as such or wasn't perceived or expressed MOST appropriately. :hugs

Also I've seen plenty of fantastic and informative post made by you. The only reason I even wasted my effort is because I DON'T think you're stupid.

Aside from that.. experts can benefit from fresh naive perspective at times.. instead of whatever they are SO focused on.

I know that and I was clear in the original post that I know that. I'm just quoting what was on the report.
Yes, you did! And I'm just trying to make sure that stays clear since some were asking about coccidiosis.. and many folks including myself jump in at times without having read the entire thread maybe only scanned it and etc.. I don't presume what anyone read, missed, or comprehended or that I might have misunderstood.. so reiterating the DETAILS.. was my attempt to make sure everyone is on approximately the SAME page, looking at the same clues, etc.

I am chicken family and friend.. not chicken perfect. :highfive:

Yes, I believe they had cocci when young, I think they were around 2 months and I did treat. When I say "I believe", they had something, I treated with corrid, it went away. I only have 4 birds and huge amounts of space. The only other bird having a bit of a issue is the old lady. She's 9.5 years old and no where near as affected. Joey, the girl in question, has been having trouble since the summer. She seems to feel 100% fine, though. Good weight and, even though she's molting, she's happy and energetic enough to bounce around the yard today. If i didnt have the poo evidence, id think she was perfect. She gets the squirts and has some bloody mucus or intestinal lining, but she also has normal poos quite often. When she has the squirts its normal poo, just wet and her poo is always majority poo, with a bit of yucky stuff. They get green mountain organic feed, which isn't fermented and a mix of lentils, grains, sunflower and sesame seeds and that's fermented. Did I miss any questions? Her molt is medium heaviness and her feathers are growing back quickly (I think, she's only been at it a few days and already has 3/4" feathers). I have some human probiotics I can put in capsules and give her. It's a little old, though. And I can give b complex pills. I assume you can't overdose a chicken on those? I've also got lots of garlic I can give her? Vitimin C? Oh, and her symptoms do go away, for a bit, after the antibiotics. And the question I missed...yes, they are marek vaccinated, assuming the hatchery did it when asked.

Last edited:
I wasn't going to allow a bacterial overgrowth, that was damaging her intestines run rampant when I had tried other options. I don't like antibiotics, but sometimes they are necessary and I understand the, potential, consequences. I'm going to try what was mentioned and, hopefully, it will help.

Last edited:
I'm not going to allow a bacterial overgrowth, that is damaging her intestines to run rampant when I had tried other options. I don't like antibiotics, but sometimes they are necessary and I understand the, potential, consequences. I'm going to try what was mentioned and, hopefully, it will help.
Are you going to argue that your way is working and ask for help in the same breath of air?

What antibiotics have you used?

I started off with vitamins and probiotics and when then didn't work I did the gram stain. For the cocci(or whatever we're calling it now), yes, I did corrid because I didn't want to mess around. The first round of ABs, I can't remember. The last 2 we did metronidazole because it's "supposed" to be more targeted and leave the "good" bacteria alone. Joey's gram stain says: 4+ gram -, 4+ gram+, 3+ gram+ cocci. I talled to my holistic vet, yesterday, who originally thought ABs were appropriate when we weren't getting anywhere, and she recommended "gut soothe". I do not intend to do anymore antibiotics unless she starts to show clinical signs of being ill.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom