Intestinal blockage & what is this hanging out of my drake's butt?

Well, if he is back to being a meanie, that sound like progress! haha

There was mention of wormers on that thread you linked, but without knowing for sure what kind (roundworm, tapeworm, etc) I don't know. I guess its a good idea to give, even if that wasn't what it was. I've only given wormers to dogs. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

But overall, its great to hear he appears to be better now!

Ducks are like little kids and can find all kinds of treasure to explore...I would certainly worm everyone just in case and just follow the vet or manufacturers advice on dosage.

Arya, my muscovy drake, had what I think was intestinal blockage around midnight last Saturday (I think there were actually subtle signs of intestinal blockage for at least a day or two before that though but I didn't realize until later). On Saturday he was pushing his butt down, his stomach(?) was making loud gurgling noises, he had excessive thirst and loud explosive sounding poops but only a lot of water and a teeny bit of fecal matter was coming out of him. The poop also had a weird, kind of infection like smell to it. When he pooped he was in pain and sometimes mouth breathed for a minute and a thing that looked kinda like greyish colored spaghetti would come out when he pooped and then go back in after a few minutes or so.

I took away his food, put sav-a-chick electrolyte/vitamins in his water, fed him coconut oil and gave him warm baths. This really helped and he returned pretty much to normal. I started giving him some duck pellets but being careful he doesn't eat too much because I'm not sure if he still has some blockage (I feed him frequently but don't let him eat a lot at a time). His poops are still loud and they're big splatters, but they mostly consist of duck pellets (instead of mostly water) and are the right color. I've seen ducks have poops like this when they haven't eaten enough so maybe that's the reason why. But sometimes his tail slightly bobs after he poops and sometimes the spaghetti thing comes out.

What is it? Part of his intestines? A worm? Could he be blocked up with worms? I've googled a ton but haven't found much info on intestinal blockage and haven't seen anyone describe the spaghetti thing he has.

Is there anything else I can do? He's refusing to eat coconut oil now so I guess I'll put it in his water and see if that helps. I think I've read about epsom salt being used to flush the system out? I've not sure how much to put though so I'm hesitant....don't want to poison him with salt. Especially since he seems pretty much back to normal except for the spaghetti thing.
That might be his Duck penis. My duck’s wiener looks like fusilli pasta :p

Back
Top Bottom