Introducing a single hen and young chicks

Keep a close eye on her. A lot of hens hunker down to the nest when their babies internally pip, and can't be pried off the nest with a shoe horn at that point. That she came off to eat with pipped eggs, may indicate that she will abandon them as they start to hatch. I had a hen who was a great setter, but she abandoned the eggs when they started hatching! Happy to sit on quiet eggs. Taking care of noisy, demanding chicks... not so much!!!

Keep a close eye on her. A lot of hens hunker down to the nest when their babies internally pip, and can't be pried off the nest with a shoe horn at that point. That she came off to eat with pipped eggs, may indicate that she will abandon them as they start to hatch. I had a hen who was a great setter, but she abandoned the eggs when they started hatching! Happy to sit on quiet eggs. Taking care of noisy, demanding chicks... not so much!!!
I think you misunderstood....She only went out to provide feed and water...Hen has not moved yet..

It's been quite a day! Two had hatched by 6am when I went to check on her. More during the day and by tonight I've seen six and I can't hear any more egg noises. (It was sounding like billiard balls knocking around under her!) There may be more but although she's sort of standing up and moving a bit she hasn't actually moved off the nest so I can't see exactly what's happening. I can't wait to see all of them! They are just soooo cute!!

Spunky - what mine have done in the past, is once she is satisfied, mine have got off the nest, and created a new nest on the floor. So do make sure you have clean bedding down on the floor. I have tried to set up a nest there, but she never takes it, she just picks her own spot. Don't worry about the chicks getting down, they can jump down quite a ways with out getting hurt.

I am hoping after they get these hatched, the layers will be brave enough to use the nest boxes again. They are laying in the run! Beware of Broody hens, they say to me, when I bring them food!

Back
Top Bottom