Introducing chicks to established flock

Wildwilly07

Chirping
May 22, 2022
I have 8 chickens ranging from 1.5 years- 3 years and have currently 12 chicks (2 silkies that are 12 weeks & 8 olive eggers & maran X olive eggers) they are all outside but separate. At what week old should I introduce them all? One of the olive eggers is a rooster too if that makes a difference?

They should be introduced as soon as possible by a divider (something they can see, but not touch each other through). Mine get introduced from day 1. I built a brooder room that has hardware cloth on the door and the top of the sides so everyone can see them. I have no problems when it's time to actually put everyone out together. Obviously everyone's set-up is different and not everyone wants a whole brooder room, but you get the idea of how everyone can see the chicks and still not touch:
PXL_20211107_131636169.jpg

they are all outside but separate.
If they've been seeing each other for a bit, then do it now!

When the chicks are smaller.. I usually set up a "panic room" where the chicks can get in but the bigs cannot in case they need to escape for the first week or so of introduction.

Add more feeders and more waterers.

If they haven't been seeing each other then you need to make it a look but don't touch set up first before introduction if possible.

What will you be feeding the integrated group?

Also, welcome to BYC! :frow

Back
Top Bottom