MaggieH031

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2018
Owego NY
Hey all! So I have been raising 6 new chicks in a brooder in my home. It has been exceptionally cold here and today was the first nice day we had. So I put my chicks in an enclosed dog kennel next to my hens run. My hens didn't act aggressive at all (they bitched for about 15 mins though). Then once they were over their cackling, they went on about their business and were dusting in their pen and completely disinterested in the chicks. I'm wondering what the best next step is, as I have never had to integrate chicks into my flock before. Thanks in advance!!

Side note: I am currently building a bigger coop and run for all of them to be in together. Seeing as the current coop wont be big enough once the new ones are fully grown.

Until you get the bigger coop built in,just let them mingle through the wire, by the time it’s built they will probably have been so aquatinted by that time you’ll have little to no issues, and they will have extra space so it will make things go even smoother.Did you have any specific questions?

Until you get the bigger coop built in,just let them mingle through the wire, by the time it’s built they will probably have been so aquatinted by that time you’ll have little to no issues, and they will have extra space so it will make things go even smoother.Did you have any specific questions?

That's what I was thinking also. The only thing I was worried about is the hens being aggressive towards the little ones. I figure it's a good sign that they dont seem too concerned about them now. I have never had to do this before but I lost 2 of my chickens and wanted to grow my flock a little. Hoping the transition goes smoothly.

At 3 weeks i would think they would still need heat at night.
also the dog kennel is not preditor safe. If you keep the chicks in that, put it inside your secure coop.
Not outside in the run. Or next to the run.

They are only out there during the day when the weather is decent. Otherwise they are inside. I've raised chicks before so I feel pretty good about them. The only questions I have is about integration.

Back
Top Bottom