Introducing myself...

Kay Black

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2017

My name is Kay and I have been researching keeping my own chickens for over a year now. I finally did it. I bought 4 one year old Americauna's and then a month later bought 4 more, Rhode Island White/Production Red's. I love them all! They each have their own personalities and have been named accordingly : )
The 4 original's have been going through a molt and haven't really laid many eggs yet. 3 of them have seemed to get through the molt ok but one of them still looks terrible and runs and hides from all of the others who do seem to pick on her. I've tried letting her out of the pen and allowing all the others to watch her have some freedom but it didn't seem to help much. I have also sectioned off a seperate spot for her to spend her days just to give her a break from the others and she seems to feel safe in there. Her feathers are finally growing in but no matter what we do she is just terrified of us and the other chickens. Any suggestions would be great.
Anyway, didn't mean to get off on a rant, just wanted to say hi. My husband and I live on 20 acreas in my home town and we just love it here. We love to fish, have a dog, 4 cats, and now 8 chickens. My husband calls me Ellie Mae, as I will feed anything that needs to eat and I easily get attached to all living creatures. I'm a nurse and love taking care of people and animals.
Thankful for BYC! I have found a lot of info that I've needed on this site. It's my first go to!!

Welcome! Your scardy chicken is probably just the low girl on the pecking totem pole. If she gets picked on make sure to have multiple food stations as the other girls will sometimes prevent the bottom girl from eating if she is very downtrodden. Also something to break up line of sight in the run can help minimize bullying.

Welcome! Your scardy chicken is probably just the low girl on the pecking totem pole. If she gets picked on make sure to have multiple food stations as the other girls will sometimes prevent the bottom girl from eating if she is very downtrodden. Also something to break up line of sight in the run can help minimize bullying.
Thankyou!

welcome.gif
To Backyard Chickens!

Poor girl! they are miserable when molting. I bet she will be back to her old self soon

Howdy! Your scaredy chicken may enjoy having the coop to herself while the others get to go outside. Once you remove a bird from the flock for any length of time that bird will have to prove they are worthy of their rank before they left the flock. Flock dynamics change on a daily basis (sometimes hourly) and you have to be mindful of who is the boss of whom. Also make sure you have plenty of room and roosts in your coop at varied heights.

Good luck with your flock and glad you joined the club!

Back
Top Bottom