introducing new chick to other chicks-need advice

hennypenny806

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Hi,

I got three Buff Orps Thurs (hatched Wed). I got an Australorp today (hatched Wed). Introductions are ok-the Orps are picking at her and pulling at her wings. Seems to have settled down a bit (she is eating with them) but I'm a worrier.....also looks like a little blood was drawn. Any suggestions? Thanks a ton.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Usually it goes easy with mixing in new chicks at this age. However if your brooder is too small, or they are too warm, they will pick on each other. Give them 1 square foot per bird and they should be somewhere around 90 to 95 degrees. If you are at 95, you might try lowing the heat to 90 and see if this doesn't calm them down. Over heating makes them cranky and beaky. If it is just a little tiny bleeding, I wouldn't worry about it. It will heal Just make sure the others are not picking at the blood spot. Use a red or infra red bulb in your brooder as well to keep them from picking on each other. White light can make them a bit aggressive.

If you need any tips and hints on raising your new brood, stop by our learning center here on BYC for lots of good reads on all the aspects of keeping poultry...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

If you have any more troubles, just let us know. Enjoy your new babies and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your chicks. TwoCrows gave you some good advice. The red light and darkening the room they are in some should help with the pecking and calm them down.

you may want to put blue kote on her wound to cover the red, so they won't peck her there again.

If they bully her away from the food or water, set up a second set at the other end of the brooder.

They sure are young to be picking on a newcomer who is the same age.

Back
Top Bottom