Introducing new chicks.

Chickens&duckies

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2018
Southern Louisiana
I need to know how I should go about introducing my 8 new chicks to my current small flock. I have 2 Mallard ducks and a Wyandotte already in the coop right now(they are 6 weeks old). My baby chicks are 1 week old Rhode Island Reds. I know its gonna be a good little while before the chicks can go outside. But how should I go about doing it. I hear that usually when introducing, the already established flock will torment anyone new. But my little flock is so small, 3 birds, that I'm kinda wondering if the 8 new chicks will be the tormentors. Anyone have any experience with this?
Update: To clear any confusion, my chicks will not be taken out of the brooder anytime soon. I'm just thinking ahead here to when they finally can go outside and join my other 3.

Last edited:
I feel that 1 week old is way to early. They are tiny babies. I have chicks 7 days old still under minimal heat. I'm in Florida even. 6 weeks is a good number to be put out into the elements.
Also my ducks are housed separately. They are extremely messy and a bio hazard for young chickens.

I feel that 1 week old is way to early. They are tiny babies. I have chicks 7 days old still under minimal heat. I'm in Florida even. 6 weeks is a good number to be put out into the elements.
Also my ducks are housed separately. They are extremely messy and a bio hazard for young chickens.
I'm sorry maybe you didn't understand my post. I stated that they will not be introduced for a good couple weeks at earliest. I need to know how to accomplish this as easy as possible.

Back
Top Bottom