Introducing new ladies!

Micmac1234

Songster
Apr 13, 2021
Colorado
So I have 6 chickens, 2 Wyandotte’s, 2 buff rocks, and 2 whiting true blues and they are all about 23-24 weeks old.

I just picked up two 13 week Australorps after losing 2 Wyandotte’s. When I first put the new girls in the coop there was some curiosity and they were checking the new girls out but nothing serious. I went back out there a few hours later and the new girls were hiding in the corner and one had been pecked enough that she had a little blood :(

I put the two new girls in a large dog crate inside the coop so they’re with the flock but at the same time separated from them but I’m looking for advice from veteran chicken owners on how long they need to be in that crate or just general advice…

I was so sad that one girl had a little blood on her and to me that was bullying gone to far but is that normal? Any tips or advice is appreciated!!!

A little blood isn’t surprising, especially if you didn’t give them enough time to adjust to each other first. I always do some look don't touch time, then only supervised time together for awhile, and then add them to the group at night when they’re mellow and sleepy. I would try a bit more supervised time before leaving them all alone together.

A little blood isn’t surprising, especially if you didn’t give them enough time to adjust to each other first. I always do some look don't touch time, then only supervised time together for awhile, and then add them to the group at night when they’re mellow and sleepy. I would try a bit more supervised time before leaving them all alone together.
So they’re in their look don’t touch time now, should I give them supervised time together tomorrow? And then let them sleep with the rest of the flock depending on how it goes?

I’ve always just put them in (each flock with their own coop) and only separate them if a kurfufle happens. We have enough space that they can all kind of just do their own thing until they get used to each other. Then one day I’ll see a new gal scratching next to an original gal or an original gal will sleep in the new gal’s coop and they just integrate more and more from there.
Notes: I have separate food and water for each flock, I have a big run with trees and shrubs and brush and all kind of good things to entertain them, I separate them while dumping kitchen scraps, giving treats, etc. (basically anything they could fight over).

So they’re in their look don’t touch time now, should I give them supervised time together tomorrow? And then let them sleep with the rest of the flock depending on how it goes?
I would see how they all get along during supervised time. I have found it can take a few days before they’re able to fit in well. Even as babies it took about two weeks before everyone really got along with no incidents. But if they get along during supervised time without too much bullying by the bigger hens you can try night time coop time and see how it goes! Can always back track if needed!

I'd really recommend a minimum of 1-2 weeks see but don't touch period before allowing them to have contact, and at that time it's ideal to have some time to supervise the birds. You should also have extra feeders and clutter available to help minimize conflict and allow birds to hide if needed if bullying occurs.

Let your original birds out of your set up into your yard, and lock the new ones in the coop/run. This lets them explore the set up without being chased. At dark, put the new ones in a kennel, in the coop and let the others come in and roost.

Rinse - repeat. Feed along the fence.

Do make sure that you have hide outs in your run, so many people just have open rectangles - add clutter, boxes, totes, roosts, things birds can get on top of or behind and out of sight. Add extra feed areas where as a bird eating at them is out of sight of birds eating at another one.

3-4 night, let the old birds in pretty near dark. Have ample roosting space in different places in the coop.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom