Introducing Pullets to Rooster

BigNan

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2020
Unfortunately I was conned into 4 Roosters because I’m a new owner. So I’ve had to give away all but one rooster. He’s about a month away from full grown and I’m thinking about buying some chicks that are hopefully hens this time. How would I go about introducing them to my rooster when they’re Pullets? He’s a Buff Orpington and was top roo to the other roosters. Would he hurt them or pick on them because they would be smaller than him? And I can’t separate them because I don’t have any cages or another coop and such.

It depends on the temperament of your rooster. I personally will not put pullet with a roo unless they’re well into egg laying ( to help keep the rooster from injuring them) You could introduce them slowly too. I wouldn’t introduce young pullets to a rooster. I’d definitely wait until they’re 6-8 months.

You aren't going to be able to put baby chicks in with a 5 month old cockerel. If you aren't able to have separate housing then your only options are to find started pullets or mature hens or rehome him and start over with chicks.

You aren't going to be able to put baby chicks in with a 5 month old cockerel. If you aren't able to have separate housing then your only options are to find started pullets or mature hens or rehome him and start over with chicks.
I agree, older hens, or a do over.

It might work, but I don't think it will.
Ditto Dos^^^

Back
Top Bottom