Intruder

Thanks, I'm around! On the Baking thread, Prayer Warriors, several others. All good. The covid thread too but mostly just reading, don't have much to contribute. ❤
I am really glad you are okay. There are a few people I see on here that I enjoy how they taalk and look forward to seeing.
She is still a kitten. The photo isn't the best but best I could get. She has been here about 4 mos now and when she showed up she was very tiny. I would say at the most she was 8 weeks old...... I think she was younger. The way she does what the chickens do tells me she was very young and showed up still needing that motherly encouragment. She will even eat the raw veggies I give the chickens. Not because she don;t get her own food between me and two neighbors she eats well. She just see the ladies eating it and thinks she should also. One of my neighbors did deworm her when she did her own cats.

Four months is a prime age for cats to get pregnant. Can you live trap her and get her to a vet? Get her shots, wormed, spayed? Then she could spend the rest of her life happily guarding your chickens from mice, rats, wild birds and snakes. She's already bonded to them.

Last edited:
In our area they have a program called TNR,, Trap---neuter--release. And the cost is only for the rabies shot. I took all my ferals there to get fixed. I also left them additional money,,, but far from what it would cost to have a local Veterinarian do the procedure. That would definitely drive me to the poor house.
That was a long time ago,, so I don't recall the exact number,,, but was more than 10 cats.. The cats in my Avatar are 13 or 14 years old now. Some of that group are no longer:(

Staceyh,,,, check with humane society in your area if they have similar program.
I have and right now they are not doing a feral program. They said they had in the past but funds have been cut. I have called vets and other places no kill shelters like adopt a pet. No one is willing to help. I have about 2 mos to find her a home before problems really start. I posted here but I am talking to folks in town seeing if a farmer is willing to take in a good girl like her.If nothing else I will post on a few boards like Rural King has. I really think she would make someone a great barn cat. She will even sleep on the roosting bar with my chickens to stay warm.
I am not againist cats and use to have a few but my budget is tight.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I hope you can get the little kitty fixed soon.It will be less trouble and heartache for you both if you can! This one only charges $20 plus cost of the rabies vaccination $15.00 .Good luck! https://stlfco.org/#winter-shelter-builds
I will call them tomorrow but it looks like they only service people that live in Missouri. I have called around in my area. Even if she gets fixed though I won't keep her here. She climbs in and out of the coop where she made aa whole for other preditors to get in and out of. (I have mended but she breaks it open) She will get fleas and worms and I would have to treat her and the chickens. Plus the other added cost. I just can not afford her. I wish I could ( she has grown on me) I need to look at what is best for her and the ladies ( not how I feel). I will make sure she gets a good place with chickens.

In that case, can you have her relocated sooner rather than later, before she has a chance to get pregnant?
That is what I am going to try and do. She is still sleeping on the roost with the ladies and at dusk she is in the coop. She don't come out of the run often yet. As I stated before she is nervous to leave the chickens. Just saying she hasn't been getting Toms calling yet. I know it will be soon. This is why I tried removing her when she first showed up.

Back
Top Bottom