Irritated Feet?

New Hampshire

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 1, 2014
New Hampshire
Today I noticed that my hen Alice appears to have irritated feet pads. She has these black spots on the pads on both of her feet. Alice is a 6 year old Silver Laced Wyandotte. She does ok on the grass, but walking on our gravel driveway seems to hurt her. Is there anything wrong with her feet?

Looks like you may have three issues here......Her toenails badly need trimming. You will have to trim them a little at a time to keep from cutting into the quick. Hold them up to a light and you can see where it starts.....now. The spot is probably bumblefoot. Do a search on here on bumblefoot. Her scales are also a tad raised. It could be from age but could also be scaly leg mites. A dip in vegetable oil every week to 10 days will take care of that.

I guess you could call it that. It seems like most of mine get it on both feet. You can do surgery. It seems to be the most definitive way to deal with it. I have seen two other methods lately. Pen G vaccinations and another that uses clear iodine. I did surgery on the hen with the worst cases this past week. SHe is healing fine. I think, since I have two more hens with it, that I may try the other methods. I have ordered the iodine from amazon. I will have to go to a larger town to get Pen G so I will try it later.

Back
Top Bottom