Is $3,800 reasonable?

GudaRen

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2023
Hello everyone,

I am from Connecticut. I want to hire a construction team to build a 8*13*6ft covered chicken run for my backyard flock. The quote he gave me is $3,800 for labor only.
I am wondering is that a reasonable price? Can it be cheaper?
Thank you for the input!

What do you mean by a "covered chicken run"?
Just a run only or a coop and run? Got pics of what you're wanting or something similar?
Kind of impossible to say with the limited idea of what type, what materials, etc.

What do you mean by a "covered chicken run"?
Just a run only or a coop and run? Got pics of what you're wanting or something similar?
Kind of impossible to say with the limited idea of what type, what materials, etc.
9CE6BB1E-00BE-4520-B2E6-8E9728AC042C.jpeg

Something similar to this. Just the run. I already have a coop. I want the run to be attach to the coop.

Add on:
I do want the fence to extend underground a bit to prevent predators from digging in. I have a rocky, uneven backyard. I think labor for that part is gonna be more expensive. What is a reasonable price?

No way we can tell you what a reasonable price is because the market in each area is going to vary. The 3800 might be a good deal in your area, or it could be a rip off, I don't know. I would suggest getting at least 2 quotes from local companies and comparing them.

6-7 years ago my chain link run cost somewhere between 2-3k (labor, materials and clean up), 20x25 with a fence splitting down the middle, no roof, 3 doors. I ran up an extra few hundred in hardware cloth, hog rings, landscape staples, U-posts, wire and netting to reinforce it.

Do you need to have a licensed contractor build it for insurance or regulation compliance?

Because if you don't, you can get much more affordable work from a handyman type (but verify their reputation, and pay in allotments as work is completed).
Our very first coop was built by a friend's roommate with some carpentry skills, he did a really good job for less than $200, and $400 for materials (back then). Of course, that was a special circumstance, but the point is there are options.
Try to really look around at what's available near you. Ask some people you trust like at your church or work or friends if they might know someone handy that can follow the plans you give them.
And, adding an apron is not a big deal. If every little detail is nickel and dimed, then you're being taken for a ride.

We see this guy at the swaps near us, he shows up with a trailer laden with his "builds". They are uncovered pens made of chicken wire and mismatched scrap wood, from pallet wood to dog eared fence boards. He asks $200 each and I've heard him give his spiel to people, "never lost a bird in one of these".
The crazy thing is, he obviously gets enough customers to pay for the business logos on his vehicles, website, etc. People get taken advantage of more than usual in niche markets like chickens (and horses, gardening, etc.). Just be extra careful.

No way we can tell you what a reasonable price is because the market in each area is going to vary. The 3800 might be a good deal in your area, or it could be a rip off, I don't know. I would suggest getting at least 2 quotes from local companies and comparing them
Ditto Dat^^^

I live in CT also, the digging here is not easy! I would suggest laying the hardware cloth on the ground extending out a foot or 2 & securing with garden staples instead of digging. There are pics around here of what I mean, maybe someone can link them for you. (@aart - do you have that link handy?)

Back
Top Bottom