Is a Peacock Ornamental Fowl?

Naturegirl44

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 11, 2013
Powassan, Ontario
A friend of a friend just had baby peacocks hatch and she thought of me and our BYC flock and Guinea's and asked if we wanted a few.

I have to talk to my husband about it as i think they would be a great addition to our family but i need to research and learn about them first.

Do they house in the coop with the chickens and guinea's? or need their own home, what type of feed etc? i know nothing of the needs of Peacocks.
Thoughts? links?

Peacocks are normally ornamental birds, chickens carry diseases that can be fatal to peafowl but not harm the chickens. Guineas tend to not carry those and people have housed them together just fine. Pea fowl also need a lot of room as they are not extremely small birds and like to roost. You can feed them turkey or game bird feed.

Thanks Firekin. Joe is not overly enthusiastic about taking the wee baby peacocks. Maybe one day once we have more room and separate housing away from the chickens and guinea's.

i keeo my peacock with all if my chickens. yes tere are diseases that can kill him but we also worm every month. if you worm every month and gobe minerals and vitamins they will be okay. peacocks do not like beig alone so its better to keep them with something. mine is just fine not sick or anythig. he even runs with my log grey pullet

Back
Top Bottom