Is a reptile bulb ok?

I don't know why it's so hard sometimes to get answers on here. I Have a reptile bulb in my brooder. As long as you have a thermometer and keep the temps proper.....

I don't know why it's so hard sometimes to get answers on here. I Have a reptile bulb in my brooder. As long as you have a thermometer and keep the temps proper.....
I don't see a problem with it. As long as it isn't coated with Teflon ( will say so on the package).
I used reptile bulbs when whelping puppies. The dam really appreciated the dark light.
What color is the bulb?
Best,
Karen

Thank you both so much for your response. The bulb is white colored, not a red bulb. She is healing well, and the light does not seem to be an issue. I cannot confirm if there is teflon or not... I looked online and on the box. http://zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=129&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=5 this is the light (although I am using the 50 watt).
Regards.
"The Repti Basking Spot® Lamps have a unique patented double reflector that
focuses 35% more heat and light into a tight beam. Ideal for use with diurnal
reptiles that thermo-regulate by basking, including many tropical and desert species."

Ok, so use with porcelain socket and note the tighter beam for reptile basking.
Chicks don't bask to maybe move it a bit further away from the chicks than you would
for an incandescent bulb. Where you have it positioned now, they are getting 35% more
heat than an incandescent.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
I have had to isolate a chick, and only have a reptile bulb that is the proper wattage. Please advise.
I use a reptile bulb, red, for my little girls and had a thermometer in their first brooder. Now they are in a larger brooder as I can't build their coop as yet since we are moving to another home in a few weeks. They are now 5 weeks old and I am looking for a small coop that I can move with us before I build their permanent home. I still 'leave the light on' in the larger brooder at night and they still gather under it sometimes. I do turn it off during the day as it gets warmer and the chill of the morning is gone.

Thank you both so much for your response. The bulb is white colored, not a red bulb. She is healing well, and the light does not seem to be an issue. I cannot confirm if there is teflon or not... I looked online and on the box. http://zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=129&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=5 this is the light (although I am using the 50 watt).
Regards.

I keep a large selection of these bulbs on hand for using with my chicks. I have them from 50 watt to 150 watt, mostly the red ones, so I always have the right temp for the age of the chicks. I do get the Repti Pro heat lamps tho and not the basking spot lamp.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom