Is A Rooster's behavior sufficient reason to not let him breed?

Mattl12

Chirping
Apr 30, 2022
I have three roosters, two "Show as Alphas" but the third seems to be A doormat and skittish/anti-social. Is that sufficient reason to not let the third roo reproduce or is breeding for behavior pointless? Roo 3 I jokingly refer to as "Beta" is A Black Bresse if you're curious. Roo 1 his counterpart shows more desirable behavior.

He might just not want his butt handed to him by the other two on a daily basis so he just stays submissive and out of the way. This happens in multi roo flocks. How many hens do you have? If the other two were gone, he'd likely have a behavior change.

He might just not want his butt handed to him by the other two on a daily basis so he just stays submissive and out of the way. This happens in multi roo flocks. How many hens do you have? If the other two were gone, he'd likely have a behavior change.
3 hens laying, 4 soon to lay but apparently sufficiently mature that the roos try to mount them, and 4 more probably 2 months from laying. Yes I realize 1 roo can "service" 10 hens. I wanted A bit more genetic diversity once I start looking to hatch.

You suggesting let the hens choose? I guess I could swap them out as they are in different coops.
Kinda, I just won't keep any males that draw blood from me or the girls. Then I leave them to figure out who's gonna be the dad for each egg. Usually one male will father most, if not all. Right now in one of my flocks, I have 3. One breeds about 95%, one breeds about 5% and I don't think the third breeds any

3 hens laying, 4 soon to lay but apparently sufficiently mature that the roos try to mount them, and 4 more probably 2 months from laying. Yes I realize 1 roo can "service" 10 hens. I wanted A bit more genetic diversity once I start looking to hatch.

Some people do successfully keep pairs and trios, but keep a close watch on the girls to make sure they're not being over-bred.

I have several girls in saddles with 2 males and 21 mature layers.

Some people do successfully keep pairs and trios, but keep a close watch on the girls to make sure they're not being over-bred.

I have several girls in saddles with 2 males and 21 mature layers.
And on the opposite end, I have 3 males with 11 girls and only 1 could use a saddle. Not meaning to argue, just pointing out that some birds have more... enthusiasm than others.

And on the opposite end, I have 3 males with 11 girls and only 1 could use a saddle. Not meaning to argue, just pointing out that some birds have more... enthusiasm than others.

And some hens have better feathering than others. :)

One of my FCM girls will squat for anything, including barely mature cockerels*, but her feathers are perfectly fine while my Lavender Orpington x SLW girls are all in saddles despite being considerably fussier about being mated.

*Seriously, I see her being mated almost every time I'm in the coop so I know it's not like the boys don't breed her. :D

Back
Top Bottom