Is animal control gonna do anything?

I'm so very sorry about your chicken.
hugs.gif

I do agree this is not a cat. It sounds like another predator. If it were a cat, it would take the chicken off your property and to it's home. Raccoon's, skunks, fishers, possums, ect.. would most likely be the cause. It's always a huge risk to free range chickens. I free range, but it is supervised only. I just saw a hawk 3 nights ago take out a song bird in the air. Today there was an Eagle eyeing my girls, so it was a short time spent outside. Honestly, you can't blame an animal that you didn't see do it. My old neighbors blamed us for our black and white cat killing their adult duck that they left outside 24/7 without any shelter. First, we never owned a black and white cat, second we live in a very wooded area with lots of wildlife. It was unfair they put the blame on us when we had nothing to do with it. Again, I'm so very sorry about your silkie.

So how does this work!! I'm an avid SSS kinda guy. But it seems that the majority lets the predator attack his animals once before anythings done about it. I've never understood this. I see something going after my livestock I take care of the matter then & there. There's no second time. I build coops,buy feed, tote water 365 days a year & let some predator kill my animals not this cowboy.

Cat hasn't come back and I doubt that it's a raccoon, possum, whatever else everyone else deals with. In this desert those animals wouldn't be very happy, dead or run over (I live close to a highway).
I'm thinking it had to be chick on chick violence, so I'm gonna go with that. This animal had to bite off really short chick fuzz on the silkies. I doubt the birds gave a predator the chance to bite them, they run away and hide from ground squirrels that just pass by.
If any animals which are not native to this area pester me and my animals, animal control will take care of them. I wish it wasn't their cat going on my property, it may be one of their neighbor's cat, it shouldn't be wandering around in the first place unless it's homeless.
I fired a warning shot from a BB gun (it was loud!) and their first cat never came back. That shot echoed.. It scared me. I saw a missing cat sign about their cat at the store here. Coyote, dog, or car got it. Or another person who didn't want to give it back.

I would ask animal control if it is legal for you to set a live trap on your property so if the cat comes calling again you can catch him. Maybe returning their cat to them in a trap might prompt them to do something.

Also, you could try those guns that shoot plastic BBs. I use them to try to keep squirrels at bay. They are called "air soft" guns and they shoot plastic BBs which can't kill or injure but they sure do sting. I know, my teenage boys and I were shooting each other last night!

Plink the little bugger!

If you're waiting on animal control to protect your stock, you won't have any left!
I'm with 7L Farm on this one

But I highly doubt the cat is the culprit here. I allow feral cats around my coop to keep rats/mice away. Except for chicks, cats haven't bothered my birds at all.

Arghhh cats! I'm a lucky New Zealand urban chicken person. But cats using my lawn as a toilet while they admire our chickens is driving me nuts.

Our council has lots of rules about digs, none about cats. There are lots of rules about how you treatthem though, I've found vigilant children harassing them very successful.

Also using gutter guards (like massive bottle brushes) on all fence lines a great deterrent (nit very pleasant to walk on)

Quote:
Sorry very off topic but what do you use to fix the gutter guards to the fence. I have never heard of these and had to look it up on ebay. I use a net across some parts of my fence to keep the neighborhood kitties out but there is one big white one (it's huge!!) that has managed to get in a couple of times.

Back
Top Bottom