Is Broody necessarily Bad?

I let my Wyandotte brood eggs twice this year. Both times she tried to kill the chicks. She LOVES sitting on eggs. Loves it so much! But then when they start to peep... or have the audacity to HATCH.... she gets rid of the babies as quick as she can.

The first time she killed one that hatched and threw another egg from the nest that later hatched healthy and perfect without any help from me. So, the second time she did this, I got up before sunrise and went to check on day 21 and sure enough, the 3 little chicks under her were just popping their cute little heads from under her wing. As soon as she realized what was going on, she went to town trying to hurt them. I obviously stepped in right away and am going to think twice before letting her brood again. I'm raising their babies in the brooder now.

She and my olive egger that were broody buddies this latest time are thin and a little paler than I would like. Parasites are also more likely to get ahold of them after a stint of brooding as they're not as nourished as they would be normally.

They are super sweet girls and will let me remove eggs from under them and pet them even when they're on a nest and love to be petted and interact with us. I went with nature this summer, but am not sure it was best for my girls overall. Your situation may go an entirely different direction, but this was my experience and the reason why I'll definitely try to prevent the broody time next time.

If you begin the breaking process immediately upon recognizing signs of broodiness, they'll usually break pretty fast, like I've broken one in less than 48 hrs. So it's not a drawn out affair, if you stay on top of it.

It's also really a relief for the rest of the flock, to not have to deal with the crazy hormones. And I would never lock a layer out of the nest area, that's just asking them to develop bad habits in laying elsewhere. So if you think of it from the flock's perspective, it really is best to simply break the broody if you're not going to raise chicks.

Breeder tells you to break her,,,,,,, only so she will produce eggs. :old
I see no problem with what you are doing as you mention in your post. Certain chicken breeds go broody more often than other breeds. It is a natural action on part of a chickens life.
I never tried to break a broody, because I see no need to. I only keep chickens as pets, and eggs are fine, but not a necessity.
You sound like in a similar pet keeping group as I. :hugs .. You mentioned that eggs are not that important:highfive:. Just keep your chickens happy, and all will be good.:thumbsup
I know that White Leghorns are chickens that RARELY go broody. (worlds most common chicken) If you do want a steady source of eggs, then that is an option to choose.
Glad to hear that your Roo is not very vocal. I cant keep roosters in my Urban Area here.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:
Thank you so much for this!! My hen has been broody and I don’t really care if she lays or not- just wanted to make sure she was okay!
Mine are pets and the eggs re just a bonus. Guess I’ll let her play mother hen as long as she likes.

Thank you so much for this!! My hen has been broody and I don’t really care if she lays or not- just wanted to make sure she was okay!
Mine are pets and the eggs re just a bonus. Guess I’ll let her play mother hen as long as she likes.
It’s not about egg laying, it’s about the health of your hen. If she is broody, she doesn’t just snap out of it. She will persistently sit on a “nest” for weeks going into months with minimal food and water. This is detrimental to her body over time.

It’s not about egg laying, it’s about the health of your hen. If she is broody, she doesn’t just snap out of it. She will persistently sit on a “nest” for weeks going into months with minimal food and water. This is detrimental to her body over time.
Ditto Dat!!

@AimlessBB either give her eggs to hatch or break her broodiness.

Oh gosh. I guess I have some broody breaking to do. Thank you @humblehillsfarm

Back
Top Bottom