Is bumble foot common? Worried about rooster!

From what we could tell he seems fine, but his leg feels wamer than his other and bigger in the lower leg area. Tender too! We looked him over has much as he would tolerate. It was dusk out. He was scared this time not mad. I Feel bad for him, as far as the crowing, he doesn't seem to be doing no more than usually. I hope he doesn't have a repertory infection. Can fresh straw cause irritation?
Glad you got ahold of him! I would have suggested wrapping the foot, but then you would have had to re-handle him every couple of days to check it.
Fresh straw if really dusty can be a bit irritating. If he's hoarse for a few more days, it could be from something else. Did you notice it after you started getting aspirin into him? How are you giving the aspirin?

The B12 with K is just that then. B12 Vitamin probably Cobalamine with K. The other ingredients are preservatives with flavoring/sweetener.
It's probably o.k. to give once a week or so? Not sure how k is excreted from the body, but B vitamins are excreted in the urine, so it's hard to overdose on those.

I prefer using Rooster Booster Poultry Cell or human B-Complex. The Poultry Cell does have other vitamins in it too, so I don't use it frequently.

Glad you got ahold of him! I would have suggested wrapping the foot, but then you would have had to re-handle him every couple of days to check it.
Fresh straw if really dusty can be a bit irritating. If he's hoarse for a few more days, it could be from something else. Did you notice it after you started getting aspirin into him? How are you giving the aspirin?

The B12 with K is just that then. B12 Vitamin probably Cobalamine with K. The other ingredients are preservatives with flavoring/sweetener.
It's probably o.k. to give once a week or so? Not sure how k is excreted from the body, but B vitamins are excreted in the urine, so it's hard to overdose on those.

I prefer using Rooster Booster Poultry Cell or human B-Complex. The Poultry Cell does have other vitamins in it too, so I don't use it frequently.
Dang! I almost got poultry cell! What mg and dosage for human B-complex? He was having the strange sounding crow before the aspirin. I bet it's the straw now that I'm thinking about it. I only use pine shavings but I put a TON of straw in with it for extra padding for him. So if it last a few more days I should be concerned it's something else? Thanks @wyroprock, and everyone else! I'll keep you all updated on his progress!

Dang! I almost got poultry cell! What mg and dosage for human B-complex? He was having the strange sounding crow before the aspirin. I bet it's the straw now that I'm thinking about it. I only use pine shavings but I put a TON of straw in with it for extra padding for him. So if it last a few more days I should be concerned it's something else? Thanks @wyroprock, and everyone else! I'll keep you all updated on his progress!
For his size I would crush 1 human B-Complex and add it to his feed once a week.
If he started that after you added straw, then likely that's what it is. Can you open up the coop a bit more for more ventilation?

The last straw I bought was absolutely terrible! Dusty and not baled very good. I opened the windows for a few days while they scratched all that mess up and got it mixed in with the shavings, but I'm going to need to dust earlier than I thought I would have to.

For his size I would crush 1 human B-Complex and add it to his feed once a week.
If he started that after you added straw, then likely that's what it is. Can you open up the coop a bit more for more ventilation?

The last straw I bought was absolutely terrible! Dusty and not baled very good. I opened the windows for a few days while they scratched all that mess up and got it mixed in with the shavings, but I'm going to need to dust earlier than I thought I would have to.
This one seemed dusty.... I sneezed like crazy handling it! I got it as ventilated as it can get . I just think I over did it. Poor chickens, I try to help them and I do more damage then good lol :idunno

This one seemed dusty.... I sneezed like crazy handling it! I got it as ventilated as it can get . I just think I over did it. Poor chickens, I try to help them and I do more damage then good lol :idunno
Well, you could always take some of the straw out. Maybe bag it up and store it in a dry place for later use?

I usually wear a respirator when spreading straw, raking or cleaning. Comes in handy for all sort of things, everybody should own one.

Well, you could always take some of the straw out. Maybe bag it up and store it in a dry place for later use?

I usually wear a respirator when spreading straw, raking or cleaning. Comes in handy for all sort of things, everybody should own one.
I know what I was going to ask now! How long should I do the 1 a day aspirin? Thanks!

I know what I was going to ask now! How long should I do the 1 a day aspirin? Thanks!
I honestly do not know the "timeline" on giving aspirin to a chicken.
@casportpony may know, but my thoughts would be it shouldn't be used long term because of concerns of damage to kidneys and liver (?) but I could be wrong.

As long as you don't exceed the two baby aspirin per day dosage, it should do no harm to give one per day long term. My lame hen shows no signs of aspirin overdose, which would be bleeding in the intestines, and that would be obvious in the stools. She also shows no signs of being prone to bleeding during her activities. She gets a baby aspirin each morning to ease her pain in her lame leg.

As long as you don't exceed the two baby aspirin per day dosage, it should do no harm to give one per day long term. My lame hen shows no signs of aspirin overdose, which would be bleeding in the intestines, and that would be obvious in the stools. She also shows no signs of being prone to bleeding during her activities. She gets a baby aspirin each morning to ease her pain in her lame leg.
Oh good!!! I was just making sure... how long has your hen been on aspirin, and was this a sprain that caused her leg problems? Just wondering if my rooster will always been lame.. thanks!!! I'm so amazed by everyone's knowledge on here about chickens! I hope I'll be this knowledgeable one day!!!

Back
Top Bottom