Is CampbellsKitchen.com right?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by PotterWatch, Sep 20, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    This was part of a little thing on how to cook eggs that says it is presented by CampbellsKitchen.com:

Hard Boiled Eggs

Brown shells are thicker than white shells, and thus more crack-resistant, making them ideal for hard boiling. There's no other differences between white and brown eggs -- they just come from different breeds of hen.

I have never heard of this before and I haven't noticed that to be true with my own chickens (the part about shell thickness). Where do you suppose this information comes from and is there any truth to it?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. Chicks & Turks

Chicks & Turks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    I'm wondering if they compared a store egg, white one, to a fresh egg, brown one. The fresh eggs shell would be stronger because it's fresher.... Other than that, I don't know, good question though

3. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    I haven't noticed any difference either.

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    My Leghorn's shells were definately thinner and easier to crack than my Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds. But that was only true of the Leghorns, the Silkies, Polish and the other banties were just as hard as the brown eggs.

5. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Of all mine, including the leghorn we used to have, my RIR has the thinnest shells by far. The ones we got from the lehorn were some of the thickest. ?

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Werll, Heather I am assuming they are talking about store bought brown eggs vs white ones. That I have found to be true. But here at home they are ALL hard as a rock, no matter the color.

7. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    I doubt it....BUT
    I do have brown "organic" eggs and regular white eggs in the fridge frome time to time and sometimes the white ones are paper thin while the brown ones I have the whack on the counter to crack.

That just tells me that the chickens from the white egg farm are undernourished and should be in my backyard getting the good stuff!

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I think that we should all email them.

9. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I agree, maybe we should let them know that it has to do with diet, not color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by